23 - 17 Final - OT
  for this game

Rice, Seahawks down Bears in overtime

Dec 3, 2012 - 5:30 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Sidney Rice's 13-yard touchdown catch in overtime lifted the Seattle Seahawks over the Chicago Bears, 23-17.

Rice ended with six catches for 99 yards for the Seahawks (7-5), who have won three of four. Golden Tate hauled in five passes for 96 yards and a score.

Russell Wilson completed 23-of-37 passes for 293 yards and two touchdowns for Seattle, which improved to 2-5 on the road this season. Wilson also carried the ball nine times for 71 yards.

"We're very fortunate to get out of here with a win against a terrific football team. We needed it badly and we're excited to go back home and finish this thing off," Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said. "We needed to get a couple wins on the road and at least we got one so far."

Marshawn Lynch rushed for 87 yards and a touchdown on 19 carries for the victors.

Jay Cutler connected on 17-of-26 passes for 233 yards and two touchdowns for the Bears (8-4), who are tied with the Packers for first place in the NFC North. Green Bay beat the Vikings on Sunday.

Matt Forte carried the ball 21 times for 66 yards and caught three passes for 30 yards and a score. Brandon Marshall hauled in 10 passes for 165 yards.

The Seahawks got the ball to start the overtime period. Wilson and Lynch ran for 11 and 14 yards, respectively, before Michael Robinson caught a 13-yard pass. Wilson then used his legs to convert a pair of third downs. Faced with a 3rd-and-10 from the Chicago 25, Wilson threw a 12-yard pass to Doug Baldwin. Wilson then rolled to his left and hooked up with Rice, who took a hard hit while crossing the goal line. The score was upheld and Seattle won the game.

"I was in coverage and I turned around, saw him coming and tried to get the strip. It didn't work," Bears defensive lineman Shea McClellin said about the final play.

The Bears took advantage of an early Seattle turnover. Lynch fumbled near midfield on the fifth play of the game. Chicago was awarded a fresh set of downs when Seattle safety Earl Thomas was called for holding on 3rd-and-10. Marshall's 23-yard catch combined with a defensive delay of game penalty moved the ball to the 12-yard line. Earl Bennett then caught a pass from Cutler before flipping over Brandon Browner and into the end zone.

Chicago had a pair of chances to add to its margin early in the second quarter. On 4th-and-1 from the Seattle 15, Michael Bush was stuffed at the line.

Bennett dropped an easy touchdown on the Bears' next possession. After beating his man down the right side of the field, Bennett failed to bring in a bomb from Cutler. The home team was eventually forced to punt.

The missed opportunities came back to haunt Chicago, as the Seahawks scored a touchdown on their ensuing possession. Tate caught passes of 18 and 49 yards to move the ball to the 4-yard line. Lynch rumbled into the end zone from there to make it 7-7 with 2:15 left in the half.

Seattle tacked on three more points before the break. Baldwin's 20-yard catch set up the Seahawks at the Chicago 14. On 3rd-and-10, Braylon Edwards appeared to make a diving catch in the back of the end zone. Upon further review, it was determined the ball hit the ground before Edwards caught the ball. Steven Hauschka made a 31-yard field goal with five seconds remaining to make it 10-7.

The Bears scored a touchdown late in the third stanza to take the lead. The home team marched down the field thanks to an unnecessary roughness penalty, Eric Weems' 18-yard catch, Marshall's 13-yard catch and Forte's 10-yard run. On 3rd-and-4 from the Seattle 12, Forte caught a pass at the one before rolling into the end zone to give Chicago a 14-10 edge. The refs originally ruled that Forte was down by contact at the one, but the call was reversed.

Still trailing by four late in the fourth, Seattle took over at its own 3-yard line with 3:40 to play. Wilson completed two straight passes and added runs of 13 and six yards to move the ball to the Chicago 49. An offensive holding call on third down set up 3rd-and-14. Baldwin caught an 11-yard pass and Zach Miller followed with a 7-yard catch on fourth down. Rice added a 27-yard catch to move the ball to the 14-yard line. Tate then caught a pass at the 10-yard line, ran toward the end zone and stretched the ball over the goal line for a 17-14 edge with 24 seconds to go.

However, the Bears had enough time left to tie the game. Marshall caught a 56- yard pass to put the ball at the Seattle 30. Robbie Gould made a 46-yard field goal as time expired to send the game into overtime.

Game Notes

The Seahawks have won six of their last eight versus the Bears ... Bennett left the game with a concussion ... Chicago fell to 5-2 at home this season ... Rice's game-winning touchdown came with 7:33 left in overtime ... Chicago wide receiver/kick returner Devin Hester missed the game due to a concussion ... Bush carried the ball seven times for 39 yards ... The Bears have lost three of four since a six-game winning streak.