Flynn and Wilson shine as Seahawks down TitansAug 12, 2012 - 5:21 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Matt Flynn completed all but two of his passes in his first game as a Seahawk and Seattle downed the Titans, 27-17, in the preseason opener for both teams on Saturday at Qwest Field.
Flynn spent last season as a backup to Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay before signing a three-year, $19.5 million contract with Seattle in the offseason. The LSU product went 6-for-6 on his first series, and finished 11-of-13 for 71 yards and one interception.
Russell Wilson, who Seattle drafted in the third round back in April out of Wisconsin, played the second half and threw for 124 yards and a touchdown on 12-of-16 passing with one interception. He also rushed three times for 59 yards, including a 32-yard touchdown scamper to seal the game late in the fourth.
Tennessee quarterback Matt Hasselbeck started all 16 games for the Titans in 2011, the 36-year-old's first season in Nashville following an outstanding 10- year run in Seattle in which he made three Pro Bowls and guided the Seahawks to six playoff appearances.
Hasselbeck's first game in Seattle as an opponent got off to a rough start, as Brandon Browner picked off his first pass and returned it 23 yards for a touchdown to give Seattle a 7-0 advantage.
Hasselbeck finished 5-of-9 for 45 yards and two interceptions, while Jake Locker, Tennessee's first-round choice in last year's draft, went 7-for-13 for 80 yards.
Chris Johnson managed just eight yards on five carries, and rookie wide receiver Kendall Wright, the 20th overall pick back in April, caught three passes for 47 yards.
Seattle settled for a 41-yard field goal from Steve Hauschka on its first offensive possession to take a 10-0 lead before a 32-yard field goal from Rob Bironas made it a 10-3 contest as the teams entered the locker room.
Wilson started the second half and found free agent acquisition Braylon Edwards for a 39-yard touchdown to extend the lead to 17-3.
Tennessee responded with a seven-play, 84-yard drive, capped by a 21-yard touchdown run from Darius Reynaud to bring the Titans within 17-10.
After a three-and-out from Seattle, Reynaud took a punt 85 yards for his second touchdown of the game to knot the game at 17-17.
Hauschka knocked down a 40-yard field goal early in the fourth quarter to give the Seahawks a three-point advantage.
After the teams exchanged turnovers, Rusty Smith led the Titans into field goal range, but Will Batson missed wide on a game-tying 36-yard attempt before Wilson's touchdown run put the game away for good.
- TENNESSEE: 17
Aug 12 1:03 AM
- == Preseason == Seattle Touchdown - 32-yard run by Russell Wilson. (Steven Hauschka kick).
Titans 17, Seahawks 27 4th - 1:51Aug 12 12:58 AM
- == Preseason == Seattle Field Goal - 40-yarder by Steven Hauschka.
Titans 17, Seahawks 20 4th - 11:17Aug 12 12:28 AM
- TENNESSEE: 17
End of 3rd
Aug 12 12:18 AM
- == Preseason == Tennessee Touchdown - 85-yard punt return by Darius Reynaud. (Rob Bironas ki
Titans 17, Seahawks 17 3rd - 5:12Aug 12 12:06 AM
- == Preseason == Tennessee Touchdown - 21-yard run by Darius Reynaud. (Rob Bironas kick).
Titans 10, Seahawks 17 3rd - 8:04Aug 12 12:00 AM
- == Preseason == Seattle Touchdown - 39-yard pass from Russell Wilson to Braylon Edwards. (St
Titans 3, Seahawks 17 3rd - 12:11Aug 11 11:51 PM
- TENNESSEE: 3
Aug 11 11:29 PM
- == Preseason == Tennessee Field Goal - 32-yarder by Rob Bironas.
Titans 3, Seahawks 10 2nd - 0:31Aug 11 11:23 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
End of 1st
Aug 11 10:41 PM
- == Preseason == Seattle Field Goal - 41-yarder by Steven Hauschka.
Titans 0, Seahawks 10 1st - 2:51Aug 11 10:35 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Quarter - 14:51
Titans 0, Seahawks 7 1st - 14:51Aug 11 10:14 PM
- TENNESSEE: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 11 10:07 PM
- Titans agree to terms with 8th pick overall Jack Conklin May 23
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Undrafted rookie retires days after signing with Titans May 17
- Seahawks sign LB Khairi Fortt, waives LB Christian French May 16
- Panthers release CB Brandon Boykin; sign 5 tryout players May 16
- Titans waive Mettenberger, clearing space for 4 new signees May 16
- Russell Wilson takes jab at NC State; great lesson learned May 15
- Derrick Henry starts settling in at Titans rookie minicamp May 13
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12
- Wednesday Sports In Brief May 12
- Seahawks wide receiver Ricardo Lockette retiring May 11
- Running back Derrick Henry already turning Titans' heads May 11