Luck rolls in NFL debutAug 12, 2012 - 8:58 PM Indianapolis, IN (Sports Network) - Andrew Luck threw for 188 yards and two touchdowns in his debut and the Indianapolis Colts stomped the St. Louis Rams, 38-3, in the preseason opener for both teams at Lucas Oil Stadium.
The first overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, Luck was immediately named the starter after the Colts cut ties with long-time quarterback Peyton Manning in the offseason, and he played like one in his first game under center in the NFL.
Luck's first play from scrimmage resulted in a 63-yard touchdown when he connected with Donald Brown on a play-action screen pass and later he found Austin Collie in the end zone for a 23-yard score.
Luck completed 10-of-16 passes and narrowly missed a third touchdown when he hooked up with Quan Cosby on a 34-yard pass, but Cosby was tackled at the one- yard line.
Sam Bradford threw for 57 yards on 7-of-9 passing in his first game under the Rams' new head coach, Jeff Fisher. St. Louis named Fisher head coach in the offseason after firing Steve Spagnuolo, who coached the Rams to a disappointing 2-14 record in 2011.
Rookie Isaiah Pead led St. Louis in rushing with 33 yards. Steven Jackson had four rushes for 17 yards in limited action.
After the Rams were unable to convert on fourth down in the opening drive, the Colts took over on their own 37. Luck dropped back, faked a hand off to Brown then turned around and connected with the running back. Brown turned and weaved through traffic before cruising across the goal line.
Another Rams drive fizzled and Luck took over on his own 47. He then orchestrated a seven-play, 53-yard drive capped off with a 23-yard touchdown pass to Collie.
The Rams were able to get on the board when Greg Zuerlein converted a 37-yard field goal with 7:23 left in the first half.
Later in the second quarter the Colts struck again when Reitz punched it in from the one-yard line. Luck found Cosby streaking down the middle, but Cosby was taken down on the one. After an incomplete pass, Delone Carter punched it in to cap a 13-play 80 yard drive that put the Colts up 21-3.
Indianapolis went right down the field again in the third, and Darren Evans scored on a one-yard rush and Chandler Harnish found Jeremy Ross streaking down the sideline for a 33-yard score at 11:20 mark in the fourth.
Pat McAfee's 31-yard field goal later in the quarter puts the Colts up 38-3.
- ST. LOUIS: 3
Aug 12 4:18 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Field Goal - 31-yarder by Pat McAfee.
Rams 3, Colts 38 4th - 4:44Aug 12 4:05 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 33-yard pass from Chandler Harnish to Jeremy Ross.
Rams 3, Colts 35 4th - 11:14Aug 12 3:52 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 3
End of 3rd
Aug 12 3:38 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 1-yard run by Darren Evans. (Adam Vinatieri kick).
Rams 3, Colts 28 3rd - 0:07Aug 12 3:35 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 3
Aug 12 2:56 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 1-yard run by Delone Carter. (Adam Vinatieri kick).
Rams 3, Colts 21 2nd - 3:10Aug 12 2:40 PM
- == Preseason == St. Louis Field Goal - 37-yarder by Greg Zuerlein.
Rams 3, Colts 14 2nd - 7:19Aug 12 2:28 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 23-yard pass from Andrew Luck to Austin Collie. (Ad
Rams 0, Colts 14 2nd - 11:18Aug 12 2:21 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
End of 1st
Aug 12 2:08 PM
- == Preseason == Indianapolis Touchdown - 63-yard pass from Andrew Luck to Donald Brown. (Ada
Rams 0, Colts 7 1st - 9:22Aug 12 1:46 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 12 1:38 PM
- Ex-NFL player chosen to be next Pittsburgh schools head May 19
- Jaguars sign veteran Linkenbach, release Oberkrom May 17
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Roy Green to be inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor May 11
- Jaguars sign former 1st-round draft pick Bjoern Werner May 11
- Rams safety T.J. McDonald arrested in LA on suspicion of DUI May 11
- Colts give former college star Golson chance to shine May 8
- Jared Goff grateful to start work in 1st practice with Rams May 6
- Indianapolis Colts sign 4th-round pick Antonio Morrison May 6
- Colts sign 4 more draft picks on eve of rookie mini-camp May 5
- Colts sign 1st-round pick Ryan Kelly May 4
- Sneaky quarterback: RG3, Browns surprise high school team May 4