Brady near perfect as Pats down Eagles in preseason openerAug 10, 2013 - 2:54 AM Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - Tom Brady was in midseason form despite New England's tumultuous offseason, and the Patriots held on to down the Philadelphia Eagles, 31-22, in the preseason opener for both clubs.
The Patriots are trying to remain an offensive juggernaut despite a lot of roster turnover that included the release of tight end Aaron Hernandez, who was arrested and subsequently charged with first-degree murder in late June.
Brady, who will be without Hernandez and his other top five targets from a year ago until Rob Gronkowski recovers from multiple offseason surgeries, was nonetheless his usual efficient self, completing all but one of his eight attempts while throwing for 65 yards and a touchdown.
The star QB was under center for two possessions, the first resulting in a Stevan Ridley 1-yard plunge after the running back galloped for 62 yards on the first play from scrimmage.
While Philadelphia's defense looked suspect, the Eagles moved the ball early under new head coach Chip Kelly, who made his pro coaching debut and brought with him an uptempo offense that was highly successful at Oregon.
Michael Vick responded to New England's early score by finding DeSean Jackson for a 47-yard TD on the Eagles' first touch. Vick is battling with Nick Foles for starting signal-calling duties, and appears to be the early favorite after connecting on 4-of-5 passes for 94 yards and the TD.
Foles, who Kelly has already deemed the starter for the second game of the preseason, lost a fumble and threw for 43 yards on 5-of-6 attempts.
Brady threw a perfect 13-yard fade to Shane Vereen in the left corner of the end zone for a 14-7 Patriots lead near the end of the first quarter, and Bryce Brown ran in for an 8-yard TD to even things in the second.
It was 24-14 in favor of the Patriots at the break in large part because LeGarrette Blount made the Eagles' defense look foolish when he zigzagged his way for a 51-yard touchdown late in the half.
Blount tacked on a 1-yard plunge over the goal line in the third quarter and finished with 101 yards on 11 carries, one of the few backups who produced for either side.
Ryan Mallett completed just half of his 18 throws for 97 yards behind Brady, while Tim Tebow, whom the Patriots surprisingly signed in the offseason, was an underwhelming 4-of-12 for 55 yards through the air.
Eagles rookie Matt Barkley mostly struggled in his debut, hitting 11-of-22 targets for 103 yards, though he did throw a 12-yard touchdown pass to Greg Salas on the first play of the fourth quarter.
Riley Cooper caught one pass for 19 yards for Philadelphia. Cooper, of course, became a lightning rod for controversy when video surfaced of his uttering an offensive racial slur directed at an African-American security guard during a Kenny Chesney concert in June.
- NEW ENGLAND: 31
Aug 9 10:40 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 31
End of Regulation
Aug 9 10:40 PM
- Philadelphia Touchdown - 12-yard pass from Matt Barkley to Greg Salas. (Matt
Patriots 31, Eagles 22 4th - 14:55Aug 9 10:02 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 31
End of 3rd
Aug 9 9:56 PM
- New England Touchdown - 1-yard run by LeGarrette Blount. (Stephen Gostkowski
Patriots 31, Eagles 14 3rd - 9:15Aug 9 9:32 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 24
Aug 9 9:10 PM
- New England Touchdown - 51-yard run by LeGarrette Blount. (Stephen Gostkowsk
Patriots 24, Eagles 14 2nd - 4:24Aug 9 8:50 PM
- New England Field Goal - 34-yarder by Stephen Gostkowski.
Patriots 17, Eagles 14 2nd - 5:45Aug 9 8:41 PM
- Philadelphia Touchdown - 8-yard run by Bryce Brown. (Alex Henery kick).
Patriots 14, Eagles 14 2nd - 10:37Aug 9 8:31 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 14
End of 1st
Aug 9 8:18 PM
- New England Touchdown - 13-yard pass from Tom Brady to Shane Vereen. (Stephe
Patriots 14, Eagles 7 1st - 5:05Aug 9 8:02 PM
- Philadelphia Touchdown - 47-yard pass from Michael Vick to DeSean Jackson. (
Patriots 7, Eagles 7 1st - 9:33Aug 9 7:50 PM
- New England Touchdown - 1-yard run by Stevan Ridley. (Stephen Gostkowski kic
Patriots 7, Eagles 0 1st - 11:48Aug 9 7:43 PM
- NEW ENGLAND: 0
1st Quarter - 15:00
Aug 9 7:37 PM
- Still plenty of air in 'Deflategate' court case May 23
- QB Jake Rudock seems to be in good position with Lions May 19
- Former NFL player Tim Tebow writing book on 'life's storms' May 18
- Broncos still playing the Rodney Dangerfield card May 18
- Patriots' Gronkowski not exactly a swan in 1st ballet lesson May 18
- Sam Bradford has no regrets, ready to move on with Eagles May 17
- Saints sign 3 tryout players from last week's rookie camp May 16
- Broncos add linebacker Dekoda Watson May 16
- Russell Wilson takes jab at NC State; great lesson learned May 15
- Former Navy QB Reynolds gets OK to play in NFL this season May 13
- Carson Wentz kicks off his NFL career at rookie camp May 13
- Seahawks' Lockette steps away after injury: 'Life goes on' May 12