Sabres continue home dominance of LeafsNov 27, 2010 - 7:25 AM
Ryan Miller returned to the lineup and made 35 saves in the win, allowing the only Toronto goal late in the third period when his own defender misplayed a loose puck.
Patrick Kaleta had a shorthanded goal for the Sabres, who snapped a two-game losing streak and won for the second time in five outings.
Buffalo killed off all six Toronto power plays and beat the Maple Leafs for the sixth straight time at home.
Toronto's Jonas Gustavsson made his fourth straight start in net for the injured Jean-Sebastien Giguere and allowed three goals on 28 shots in defeat.
Buffalo jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first 7:50 of the game. Leopold scored first, netting a shot from the point, and Vanek added a goal from above the left circle.
Miller made five saves in the period, then turned aside 15 in a scoreless second. He returned from a groin injury, starting for the first time in three games.
"Any time you get your starting goaltender back it's a boost," said Buffalo head coach Lindy Ruff. "We all know what he means to the team. We put a lot into what our goaltender can do for us in how we need to play and we if we have to change our style of play, it hurts us."
Buffalo extended its lead midway through the last period, converting a neutral zone turnover into a 3-0 advantage when Kaleta scored on a backhand rebound in front.
Phil Kessel scored the only Toronto goal with 3:27 remaining in the game. Miller made the initial stop on Kessel's slapshot from the left side, but the puck was misplayed in front of the Buffalo goaltender, and Kessel was able to stuff it in.
Toronto is 3-8-2 in its last 13 games...Giguere is out with a groin injury...Buffalo was 2-for-4 on the power play.
- TORONTO: 1
Nov 26 10:00 PM
- Toronto Short-Handed Goal - Phil Kessel (10), at 16:33.
Maple Leafs 1, Sabres 3 3rd - 3:27Nov 26 9:52 PM
- Jordan Leopold shot blocked by Francois Beauchemin.
Maple Leafs 0, Sabres 3 3rd - 8:49Nov 26 9:42 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 26 9:07 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 1st
Nov 26 8:18 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Thomas Vanek (9), from Derek Roy and Luke Adam at 7:50.
Maple Leafs 0, Sabres 2 1st - 12:10Nov 26 7:57 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Jordan Leopold, at 6:05.
Maple Leafs 0, Sabres 1 1st - 13:55Nov 26 7:54 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 26 7:39 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13