Weiss, Panthers top Lightning in SONov 28, 2010 - 7:29 AM
None of the initial six skaters scored in the shootout, but Weiss was able to slip a backhand under the pads of Tampa Bay goaltender Dan Ellis.
Martin St. Louis blew a chance to extend the shootout for the Lightning when his wrister was stopped by Tomas Vokoun, ending the game.
It was the first shootout for either team this season. It's not a format Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher likes to end games, especially one as hard-fought as this.
"You don't really get a team that wins or loses. It's individual skill," Boucher said.
Radek Dvorak, Dmitry Kulikov and Shawn Matthias scored goals in regulation as the Panthers rebounded from a 2-0 deficit midway through the game to snap a three-game losing streak.
Vokoun allowed a goal in each period but made 34 saves in the game.
Teddy Purcell and Dana Tyrell gave Tampa Bay its early lead and Sean Bergenheim tied the game at 3-3 late in the third period, but the Lightning still suffered their second straight loss on the heels of a five-game winning streak.
Ellis allowed three goals on 27 shots.
Florida climbed all the way out of a 2-0 hole to take the lead on Matthias' deflection at 8:31 of the third period. Mike Santorelli centered a pass from the left side and Matthias -- drifting with his back to the net -- re-directed the puck through his own legs and past Ellis.
Bergenheim tipped in a loose puck in front of the net with 6:45 remaining in the third, tying the game at 3-3, but the Lightning were unable to score on a power play in the final minutes of regulation and they didn't have a shot on net in overtime.
Tampa Bay was able to score on a power play midway through the first period, however, taking a 1-0 lead when Purcell stuffed home a pass that trickled through in front of the net.
Ellis stopped all six shots he faced in the first 20 minutes and the Lightning extended their lead to 2-0 in the middle of the second period when Tyrell scored on a rebound off Mattias Ritola's backhand shot.
Dvorak's penalty shot goal drew Florida within 2-1 at 12:22 of the second. He was tripped up in front of the net while the Panthers were shorthanded -- clearly kept from a scoring chance -- and beat Ellis under the left pad.
Kulikov tied the game for Florida at 3:08 of the third period, beating Ellis on the far side with a snap shot from below the right circle. It was his first goal in exactly a year.
It marked the first of six encounters between the Panthers and Lightning this season...Tampa Bay had its six-game winning streak stopped in a 6-0 loss at Washington on Friday...The Panthers kicked off a four-game road trip.
- FLORIDA: 4
TAMPA BAY: 3
Final - 2OT
Nov 27 10:19 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
TAMPA BAY: 3
End of Regulation
Nov 27 10:02 PM
- Christopher Higgins shot blocked by Mike Lundin.
Panthers 3, Lightning 3 3rd - 6:33Nov 27 9:50 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias (4), at 8:31.
Panthers 3, Lightning 2 3rd - 11:29Nov 27 9:40 PM
- Florida Goal - Dmitry Kulikov, at 3:08.
Panthers 2, Lightning 2 3rd - 16:52Nov 27 9:31 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 27 9:09 PM
- Florida Goal - Radek Dvorak, at 12:22.
Panthers 1, Lightning 2 2nd - 7:38Nov 27 8:57 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Dana Tyrell (3), at 10:12.
Panthers 0, Lightning 2 2nd - 9:48Nov 27 8:50 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Nov 27 8:14 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Teddy Purcell (5), from Steven Stamkos at 10:21.
Panthers 0, Lightning 1 1st - 9:39Nov 27 7:54 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 27 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17