Hall scores twice as Oilers blank LeafsDec 3, 2010 - 8:22 AM
Khabibulin turned away 33 shots in the shutout effort for the Oilers, who have won three straight.
Rookie Jordan Eberle posted two helpers and a goal, and Ryan Whitney added two assists in the win. Sam Gagner and Ryan Jones also tallied for Edmonton.
Jonas Gustavsson stopped only 4-of-6 shots before getting benched in the second period for the Maple Leafs, who have dropped five of their last six games.
"We were getting scoring chances, but we were getting frustrated. We just have to stick with it," Leafs head coach Ron Wilson said.
Edmonton opened its scoring barrage a little over three minutes into the game. Whitney fed the puck to Eberle just above the blue line. He rushed down the left side boards and slipped the puck past Gustavsson's shoulder from a sharp angle. Edmonton kept the lead into the intermission despite getting outshot 12-4.
Edmonton notched its second goal 6:24 into the second frame when Eberle pushed the puck forward to Hall, whose backhand from the bottom of the right circle found the net. After the goal, Gustavsson was replaced by Jean-Sebastien Giguere.
With three seconds left in the second, Edmonton made it a three-score game. Jones led the rush and dropped it off to Magnus Paajarvi, who ripped a shot from the left circle. Gagner charged the crease and banked in the rebound.
The Oilers took advantage of a neutral ice turnover to make the score 4-0 with over three minutes left in the final period. Shawn Horcoff took the puck down the right side and slid a backhand pass to Hall, who tipped it in. Jones added a goal 34 seconds later for Edmonton.
"It was a good night," Hall said. "Our line was really clicking out there. I don't think I had too many shots, but I was lucky enough to put them in."
Khabibulin returned after missing seven games because of a groin injury...Giguere stopped 10-of-13 shots for Toronto...Jim Vandermeer had a plus-four night for the Oilers...Toronto outshot Edmonton 33-19.
- EDMONTON: 5
Dec 2 9:22 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Jones, at 17:29.
Oilers 5, Maple Leafs 0 3rd - 2:31Dec 2 9:18 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall, at 16:55.
Oilers 4, Maple Leafs 0 3rd - 3:05Dec 2 9:15 PM
- EDMONTON: 3
End of 2nd
Dec 2 8:30 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Sam Gagner (8), from Magnus Paajarvi at 19:57.
Oilers 3, Maple Leafs 0 2nd - 0:03Dec 2 8:30 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Taylor Hall, at 6:24.
Oilers 2, Maple Leafs 0 2nd - 13:36Dec 2 8:04 PM
- EDMONTON: 1
End of 1st
Dec 2 7:38 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Jordan Eberle (5), at 3:09.
Oilers 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 16:51Dec 2 7:13 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 2 7:05 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13