Thrashers hold off LeafsDec 21, 2010 - 6:51 AM
Enstrom also had a pair of assists for the Thrashers, who have won two straight and four of their last six. Atlanta has 43 points and sits atop the Southeast Division.
"I think that we have a good bunch of players here," said Atlanta head coach Craig Ramsay. "They have followed through on our concepts and everybody is doing a great job on offense."
Anthony Stewart posted a goal and an assist as Ondrej Pavelec turned away 37-of-40 shots for his 11th victory in his last 14 starts. Andrew Ladd added an empty netter in the win.
Mikhail Grabovski had a goal and an assist for Toronto, which has lost three straight and five of its last seven games. John Mitchell and Nikolai Kulemin each netted goals, while Tomas Kaberle had two helpers in the loss.
"We never quit and had an incredible number of scoring chances," said Toronto head coach Ron Wilson. "Our problem was that our first shift for every line and every pair of defense was a disaster and we wound up down early."
Jonas Gustavsson gave up five goals on 18 shots and was benched in favor of James Reimer, who finished the game with four saves.
Atlanta seemed to have put the game away by scoring with 17 minutes left to play, making it 4-1. Bryan Little stole the puck at the top of the left circle and dropped it off to Stewart, who slapped it top shelf.
The apparent route continued 75 seconds later on Enstrom's second goal of the game. After the goal, Gustavsson was relegated to the bench.
The Maple Leafs, however, added two power-play goals in a 15-second span, making it interesting with seven minutes left to play. Grabovski scored the first on a wrister, and then Kulemin lit the lamp for the 11th time of the season at the 13:10 mark.
Ladd, though, sealed the road win by adding an empty-netter with 25 seconds left.
Atlanta needed just 2 1/2 minutes to get on the board for a 1-0 edge. After a Leafs' neutral zone turnover, Jim Slater carried the puck to the point and wristed a low shot that was tipped by both Ron Hainsey and Modin, who was credited for the goal.
Only 28 seconds later on a power play, Enstrom ripped a shot from the left point that soared just inside the far post for a quick two-goal edge.
The Leafs made it a 2-1 game at the 14:22 mark of the second period on a power-play goal of their own. Phil Kessel ripped a shot from the right point that was deflected toward the far side. Mitchell gathered the rebound and shot the puck from a sharp angle to score his first goal of the season.
The margin was back to two with 56 seconds remaining in the second when Enstrom ripped a shot from the point and Modin redirected it in mid-air past the Toronto netminder.
The Thrashers are 9-5-3 as the guest this year...The Maple Leafs are 8-7-3 as the host this year...Kaberle scored his 500th career point on his assist during Mitchell's second-period goal.
- ATLANTA: 6
Dec 20 9:29 PM
- Atlanta Empty Net Goal - Andrew Ladd (12), at 19:35.
Thrashers 6, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 0:25Dec 20 9:28 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Kris Versteeg (11), at 13:10.
Thrashers 5, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 6:50Dec 20 9:14 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (12), from Clarke MacArthur and Tomas Kaberle at 12:55.
Thrashers 5, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 7:05Dec 20 9:13 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Tobias Enstrom (5), at 4:19.
Thrashers 5, Maple Leafs 1 3rd - 15:41Dec 20 8:56 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Anthony Stewart (10), from Bryan Little at 3:04.
Thrashers 4, Maple Leafs 1 3rd - 16:56Dec 20 8:54 PM
- ATLANTA: 3
End of 2nd
Dec 20 8:33 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Tobias Enstrom (5), from Dustin Byfuglien at 19:04.
Thrashers 3, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 0:56Dec 20 8:31 PM
- Kris Versteeg shot blocked by Tobias Enstrom.
Thrashers 2, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 4:35Dec 20 8:23 PM
- Tomas Kaberle wrist shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Thrashers 2, Maple Leafs 0 2nd - 5:40Dec 20 8:22 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - John Mitchell, from Phil Kessel and Tomas Kaberle at 14:22.
Thrashers 2, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 5:38Dec 20 8:22 PM
- ATLANTA: 2
End of 1st
Dec 20 7:42 PM
- Atlanta Power-Play Goal - Tobias Enstrom (4), at 2:52.
Thrashers 2, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 17:08Dec 20 7:14 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Fredrik Modin (5), at 2:24.
Thrashers 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 17:36Dec 20 7:12 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 20 7:05 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Maple Leafs-Devils Preview Apr 8
- NHL Capsules Apr 8
- Jake Gardiner scores in OT, Maple Leafs beat Flyers 4-3 Apr 7