Panthers crush Flyers, end Philly's win streakDec 21, 2010 - 3:55 AM
Dmitry Kulikov and Evgeny Dadonov each notched a goal and an assist for the Panthers, who have won their past two games. Mike Santorelli, Shawn Matthias and Bill Thomas each scored a goal in the win.
"We knew the last game before the break was going to be tough for them at home for Christmas," said Vokoun. "I think we started well, played a patient game. Obviously, the key has been being able to put the puck in the net and take some pressure off our defense and our penalty killing. It obviously is easier to play with a lead."
Sergei Bobrovsky started in net and was tagged for four goals on 22 shots for the Flyers, who came into the game riding a five-game winning streak. Brian Boucher relieved Bobrovsky in the second period and stopped 11-of-12 shots.
"It's unacceptable. I thought Florida played a good game," said Philadelphia head coach Peter Laviolette. "They were first in all areas tonight. They were first on the puck on faceoffs, first on the forecheck, first to loose pucks, first to open ice. They played a good game, they competed at a high level and our level was not where it needed to be."
Florida took a 1-0 lead with 2:33 to play in the first period when Thomas threw it on net from a sharp angle at the right side. The puck went off of defenseman Oskars Bartulis and past Bobrovsky to give Florida the lead.
The Panthers took a 2-0 advantage as Dadonov caught up to the puck in the Philadelphia end, skated to the left to get Bobrovsky out of position and flung it into the open net from the left side with 44 seconds left in the opening stanza.
It was a 3-0 game just 3:53 into the second after Matthias jammed it into the net during a scrum in front.
The fourth Florida goal came at 13:12 of the second to chase Bobrovsky. A Flyer defender fell down in the left corner as he grabbed the puck, and Steve Bernier grabbed it. From there, Bernier threw it out front, where Santorelli jammed it home.
Vokoun stopped 16 shots through the first two periods to keep the Flyers off the board.
Kulikov scored with 8:25 left in the game, and Vokoun made 10 saves in the frame for the shutout.
The Flyers have off until next Tuesday, when they will begin a five-game road trip in Vancouver...Florida plays in Pittsburgh on Wednesday...The Flyers took a 5-2 decision over the Panthers on November 13 in Philadelphia...Vokoun has 42 shutouts in his career...Florida was 0-for-4 on the power play while Philadelphia went 0-for-1.
- FLORIDA: 5
Dec 20 9:25 PM
- Florida Goal - Dmitry Kulikov, at 11:35.
Panthers 5, Flyers 0 3rd - 8:25Dec 20 9:12 PM
- FLORIDA: 4
End of 2nd
Dec 20 8:37 PM
- Florida Goal - Michael Santorelli (9), at 13:12.
Panthers 4, Flyers 0 2nd - 6:48Dec 20 8:22 PM
- Florida Goal - Shawn Matthias (5), at 3:53.
Panthers 3, Flyers 0 2nd - 16:07Dec 20 8:04 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of 1st
Dec 20 7:41 PM
- Florida Goal - Evgeni Dadonov (2), at 19:16.
Panthers 2, Flyers 0 1st - 0:44Dec 20 7:40 PM
- Florida Goal - Bill Thomas (2), at 17:27.
Panthers 1, Flyers 0 1st - 2:33Dec 20 7:35 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 20 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26