Allen's OT goal lifts Panthers over HurricanesJan 4, 2011 - 5:52 AM
Cory Stillman had a goal and an assist while Dennis Wideman and Chris Higgins each lit the lamp for the Panthers, who have taken their past two and have points in five straight games.
Scott Clemmensen stopped 34 shots to help Florida even the season series with Carolina at two games apiece.
Zach Boychuk, Zac Dalpe and Jay Harrison each had a goal for the Hurricanes, who had a three-game winning streak stopped. Cam Ward was tagged with all four goals on 28 shots in the loss.
Carolina had rallied from a two-goal edge in the third period, but it was Florida that took home the two points with Allen's marker in OT.
With Florida cycling the puck at the left side of the Carolina zone, Shawn Matthias left a drop pass at the top of the left circle for Allen, who blasted the puck past Ward for the win.
"It came off the boards and I was just trying to get a shot on net," said Allen about the goal. "You know, I was hoping for a rebound or to generate some action. I wasn't expecting it to go in."
Carolina got on board at the 15:47 mark of the first thanks to a misplay by Clemmensen. The goaltender attempted to play a dump in behind his net, but Troy Bodie got there and stole the puck. Bodie then sent it out front where Dalpe jammed it home.
However, Florida tied the game with just 33 seconds left in the first on Wideman's third goal of the year.
The Panthers took the lead at the 11:57 mark of the second as Dmitry Kulikov ripped a shot from the right point that was stopped with Higgins in front to clean up the garbage for his seventh goal of the season.
Stillman's goal at the 5:11 mark of the third extended Florida's lead to 3-1, but Carolina answered with the next two to tie the game.
Boychuk's goal came just 54 seconds after the Stillman goal when he grabbed the puck behind the net, came around the right side and wristed it home from in front.
The tying goal came near the midway mark of the frame as Erik Cole skated into the Florida end, pulled up at the right circle and sent a pass to the slot where Harrison wristed it home for his first goal of the season.
"I liked the way we fought back at the end of the game," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice. "We've always had tight games with Florida so none of these games come easy. We had the chances in the third to finish it, but it didn't happen that way tonight."
Florida had dropped four straight in Raleigh...Florida plays in Atlanta on Wednesday...Carolina hits the road for two games with the next contest in New York against the Rangers. The Hurricanes will then head to Florida for a rematch on Friday...Neither team scored on the power play with Florida having one chance and Carolina three.
- FLORIDA: 4
Final - OT
Jan 3 9:32 PM
- Florida Goal - Bryan Allen (3), from Shawn Matthias and Michael Frolik at 1:16.
Panthers 4, Hurricanes 3 OT - 3:44Jan 3 9:32 PM
- FLORIDA: 3
End of Regulation
Jan 3 9:29 PM
- Carolina Goal - Eric Staal (19), from Erik Cole at 9:42.
Panthers 3, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 10:18Jan 3 9:08 PM
- Carolina Goal - Zach Boychuk (3), from Erik Cole and Eric Staal at 6:05.
Panthers 3, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 13:55Jan 3 9:01 PM
- Florida Goal - Cory Stillman (4), from Michael Santorelli and Evgeni Dadonov at 5:11.
Panthers 3, Hurricanes 1 3rd - 14:49Jan 3 8:59 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 3 8:32 PM
- Dmitry Kulikov wrist shot on Cam Ward.
Panthers 2, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 8:05Jan 3 8:21 PM
- FLORIDA: 1
End of 1st
Jan 3 7:43 PM
- Florida Goal - Dennis Wideman (3), at 19:27.
Panthers 1, Hurricanes 1 1st - 0:33Jan 3 7:42 PM
- Carolina Goal - Zac Dalpe (2), from Troy Bodie at 15:47.
Panthers 0, Hurricanes 1 1st - 4:13Jan 3 7:34 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 3 7:08 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25