Lightning strike often, beat Thrashers 7-1Jan 24, 2011 - 1:57 AM
Simon Gagne scored twice, Pavel Kubina and Martin St. Louis both had a goal and an assist while Nate Thompson's shorthanded goal opened the second period for the Lightning, who have won four straight.
In sweeping the six-game series with Atlanta, Tampa Bay moved three points ahead of idle Washington for the top spot in the Southeast Division.
"We have 30 games for the last push of the season and this was a good start," said Gagne. "I'm just trying to contribute as best I can and help the team get a good seeding for the playoffs."
Ondrej Pavelec stopped 14 shots in the first period, but was pulled early in the second after giving up three goals on five shots as the Thrashers lost their third straight game and for the seventh time in their last eight. Peter Mannino finished the game in net and gave up four goals on 20 shots.
"We didn't play together out there today," said Atlanta head coach Craig Ramsay. "We talked before the game about playing as a team if we want to get back into things. Obviously, it didn't happen today."
After a scoreless first period, Tampa tallied just 14 seconds into the second while shorthanded as Thompson caused a turnover at the point, skated down the other end and snapped a wrister into the far corner from the right circle.
Less than two minutes later, it was a 2-0 game as Dana Tyrell grabbed the bouncing puck and wristed it home from the left circle.
It was a 3-0 game at the 5:39 mark when St. Louis blasted a shot from the right circle that hit off of Steve Stamkos at the left side of the net and snuck in.
St. Louis got in on the scoring halfway through the second when his quick shot from the low left side off a Steve Downie pass got into the net.
Gagne capped the scoring in the frame with 2:20 left for a 5-0 lead.
Kubina made it a 6-0 game 5:32 into the third when his slap shot from the right circle found the back of the net while Gagne scored on a 5-on-3 advantage with 9:04 to play.
Rich Peverley scored with just over four minutes to play to spoil Roloson's shutout bid.
Thompson's goal was Tampa's first shorthanded tally of the season...Teddy Purcell had three assists while Vincent Lecavalier added two helpers for the Lightning...Atlanta hosts Washington on Wednesday...The Lightning host Toronto on Tuesday...The Lightning have won 11 straight over Atlanta.
- ATLANTA: 1
TAMPA BAY: 7
Jan 23 7:29 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Rich Peverley (13), from Niclas Bergfors at 15:57.
Thrashers 1, Lightning 7 3rd - 4:03Jan 23 7:24 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Simon Gagne (8), from Vincent Lecavalier at 10:56.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 7 3rd - 9:04Jan 23 7:14 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Pavel Kubina (3), at 5:32.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 6 3rd - 14:28Jan 23 7:03 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 5
End of 2nd
Jan 23 6:37 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier, from Simon Gagne and Teddy Purcell at 17:40.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 5 2nd - 2:20Jan 23 6:34 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis (20), at 10:05.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 4 2nd - 9:55Jan 23 6:20 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Steven Stamkos (38), from Martin St. Louis at 5:39.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 3 2nd - 14:21Jan 23 6:12 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Dana Tyrell (5), from Dominic Moore at 1:56.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 2 2nd - 18:04Jan 23 6:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Short-Handed Goal - Nate Thompson (7), at :14.
Thrashers 0, Lightning 1 2nd - 19:46Jan 23 6:04 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 23 5:47 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 23 5:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17