Smyth scores twice as Kings down OilersFeb 3, 2011 - 5:55 AM Edmonton, AB (Sports Network) - Ryan Smyth scored a pair of power-play goals in the second period, and the Los Angeles Kings beat the Edmonton Oilers, 3-1, at Rexall Place.
Jack Johnson registered a goal and two assists for the Kings, who opened their 10-game odyssey by dropping a 1-0 shootout decision in Minnesota on Tuesday. Los Angeles has won four of five overall.
"It's obviously nice to contribute on the power play," Smyth said. "I thought our power play had been lacking as of late."
Jonathan Quick made 32 saves in the win.
Rookie Magnus Paajarvi lit the lamp for Edmonton, which has lost seven of eight. Nikolai Khabibulin stopped 23 shots in defeat.
Paajarvi wristed the puck past Quick to put Edmonton up 1-0 at the 3:21 mark of the second period. The Oilers had given up the first goal in their previous six games.
Shortly after the goal, however, Paajarvi's teammate, Dustin Penner, was called for elbowing, and it took the Kings only five seconds to convert on the power play as Smyth tipped Drew Doughty's shot at 3:45.
Smyth got his stick on Doughty's one-timer from atop the right circle to give Los Angeles a 2-1 lead midway through the frame.
"He's a guy that does a great job in front of the net," Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert said of Smyth.
Johnson provided an insurance marker at 14:52 of the third period.
Los Angeles improved to 9-1-2 against teams from the Northwest Division this season...The Kings are 7-0-4 against the Oilers since the beginning of the 2008-09 campaign...Edmonton forward Ales Hemsky returned to the lineup after missing four games with a concussion...Khabibulin, who denied Jarret Stoll on a penalty shot in the third period, has lost his last 12 starts.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Feb 3 12:06 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jack Johnson (5), at 14:52.
Kings 3, Oilers 1 3rd - 5:08Feb 2 11:53 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 2 11:11 PM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Drew Doughty (5), at 9:47.
Kings 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 10:13Feb 2 10:52 PM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Ryan Smyth (20), at 3:45.
Kings 1, Oilers 1 2nd - 16:15Feb 2 10:40 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Magnus Paajarvi (7), at 3:21.
Kings 0, Oilers 1 2nd - 16:39Feb 2 10:38 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
End of 1st
Feb 2 10:15 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 2 9:38 PM
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2