Cole scores in OT, lifts 'Canes over ThrashersFeb 6, 2011 - 6:31 AM
Jiri Tlusty had a goal and an assist, Eric Staal and Brandon Sutter both had a goal and Cam Ward stopped 34 shots for the Hurricanes, who snapped a two-game skid.
Zach Bogosian, Brent Sopel and Niclas Bergfors each lit the lamp for the slumping Thrashers, who have dropped three straight and six of the last seven. Ondrej Pavelec stopped 31 shots in defeat.
Atlanta had tied the game with a marker from Bogosian after a right circle faceoff win with Pavelec pulled and 1:24 left in regulation, but Cole did it all on his own to win the game.
Starting with the puck behind his own net, Cole sped down the right side and from the top of the right circle he used the defender as a screen, snapping a wrister between his legs and into the left corner for the win.
"I almost turned it over behind my net but I was able to get some speed coming up the ice," said Cole. "I was just trying to get it on net and fortunately it went in."
Bergfors scored the only goal of the first period at the 12:33 mark, but Staal tied the game 8:16 into the second on the power play when he got his own rebound at the right side and snapped it high over Pavelec.
At the 8:37 mark of the third, Sutter gave his team a 2-1 lead when his wrister from the slot on the fly found the left corner of the net, but Sopel tied the game with 7:46 to play in regulation as his shot from the top of the right circle went through a screen.
Just 28 seconds later, Tlusty gave Carolina the lead yet again when he skated down the right wing, slammed on the brakes at the right circle and from the faceoff dot wrister the puck home.
Atlanta plays at Toronto on Monday...Carolina plays at New Jersey on Tuesday...Carolina has won all three matchups with Atlanta this season, two in overtime and one in a shootout...Carolina was 1-for-6 on the power play while Atlanta was 0-for-6.
- ATLANTA: 3
Final - OT
Feb 5 9:42 PM
- Carolina Goal - Erik Cole (14), at 2:48.
Thrashers 3, Hurricanes 4 OT - 2:12Feb 5 9:41 PM
- ATLANTA: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 5 9:36 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Zach Bogosian (4), at 18:36.
Thrashers 3, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 1:24Feb 5 9:33 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jiri Tlusty (4), from Patrick Dwyer and Ian White at 12:42.
Thrashers 2, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 7:18Feb 5 9:22 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Brent Sopel (2), at 12:14.
Thrashers 2, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 7:46Feb 5 9:20 PM
- Carolina Goal - Brandon Sutter (12), at 8:37.
Thrashers 1, Hurricanes 2 3rd - 11:23Feb 5 9:12 PM
- ATLANTA: 1
End of 2nd
Feb 5 8:39 PM
- Joe Corvo slap shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Thrashers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 11:20Feb 5 8:18 PM
- Eric Staal wrist shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Thrashers 1, Hurricanes 0 2nd - 11:45Feb 5 8:17 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Eric Staal (26), at 8:16.
Thrashers 1, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 11:44Feb 5 8:17 PM
- ATLANTA: 1
End of 1st
Feb 5 7:46 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Niclas Bergfors (11), from Bryan Little at 12:33.
Thrashers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 7:27Feb 5 7:31 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 5 7:08 PM
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Hurricanes, Nordstrom agree to 2-year, $2.55M extension Apr 22
- Goalie Cam Ward says he wants to return to Hurricanes Apr 12
- Hurricanes confident rebuilding plan is on the right track Apr 10
- Panthers score 3 early goals, beat Hurricanes 5-2 Apr 9
- Hurricanes-Panthers Preview Apr 8
- NHL Capsules Apr 8
- Lindgren shines in debut, leads Canadiens past Hurricanes Apr 7
- Canadiens-Hurricanes Preview Apr 6
- NHL Capsules Apr 6
- Hurricanes beats Bruins 2-1 in SO to hurt B's playoff hopes Apr 5
- Hurricanes-Bruins Preview Apr 4