Grabovski scores late to push Toronto past BostonFeb 16, 2011 - 7:15 AM
Phil Kessel also had two goals while James Reimer stopped 32 shots for the Maple Leafs, who stopped a two-game slide. Dion Phaneuf and Joffrey Lupul each had two helpers in the win.
"That was without a doubt Phil's best game not just because he scored," Toronto head coach Ron Wilson said. "He was in on the forecheck; he was in banging around with (Zdeno) Chara and he did a good job in our end, too. He won some battles on the boards. He changed the color of the tape on his stick - I don't know if anybody noticed he went from white to black."
Gregory Campbell had a goal and an assist and Patrice Bergeron and Daniel Paille each lit the lamp for the Bruins, who have dropped four of their last five. Tim Thomas gave up four goals on 28 shots.
After the game, the Bruins acquired center Chris Kelly from Ottawa for Boston's second-round pick in the 2011 draft.
Trailing by a goal in the third, the Maple Leafs were given a power play when Dennis Seidenberg was called for cross-checking with 6:51 to play. Lupul chipped the puck in the zone and Kessel grabbed it along the left wing. He worked around his defender, got the puck back to the forehand and slid it between the pads of Thomas just 18 seconds after the penalty.
With time winding down, Grabovski grabbed the puck in his own end and went the other way. After he crossed the blueline through the middle, he got past the two defenders closing on him by chipping it over to the left and then roofed the puck for a 4-3 advantage.
Reimer preserved the lead in the final moments when he made a stop on a David Krejci offering down low.
"I think it's important to take a step back and look at what we need to rectify," Bruins head coach Claude Julien said. "Obviously, we have quite a few games coming up and haven't had the opportunity to practice as well as we have.
"But right now, it's time to get back to work and rectify that part of our game."
Boston struck first in the game when Paille attempted a centering pass from behind the left side of the net and it hit off of Phaneuf before trickling past Reimer at the 8:04 mark of the first.
Toronto, though, got the goal back with 2:38 to play in the first on the power play. A simple wrister from Phaneuf in the slot was stopped, but the rebound popped into the air and Kessel swiped it in for his 20th goal of the season.
Just 4:35 into the second, Toronto took a 2-1 lead as a shot by Mike Komisarek was blocked in front, but it kicked out to the right were Grabovski picked it up and backhanded it in.
However, the Bruins scored late in the frame on the man advantage. Michael Ryder's pass from the right boards to the low right side saw Brad Marchand get a shot on net. Reimer made the stop, but the rebound came out front and Campbell was able to bang it home with 1:26 left in the second.
Boston again took the lead 9:08 into the third as a shot from Adam McQuaid was stopped and Bergeron was able to swipe in his second attempt from the right side as he fell to the ice.
Toronto plays in Buffalo on Wednesday...Boston begins a six-game road trip in New York against the Islanders on Thursday...Each team has won twice in the series this season...Toronto went 2-for-3 on the power play while Boston was 1-for-4...Before the game, Toronto acquired forward Aaron Voros from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for a conditional seventh round choice in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- TORONTO: 4
Feb 15 9:39 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (24), at 18:59.
Maple Leafs 4, Bruins 3 3rd - 1:01Feb 15 9:32 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (21), at 13:27.
Maple Leafs 3, Bruins 3 3rd - 6:33Feb 15 9:22 PM
- Boston Goal - Patrice Bergeron (20), at 9:08.
Maple Leafs 2, Bruins 3 3rd - 10:52Feb 15 9:14 PM
- TORONTO: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 15 8:41 PM
- Boston Goal - Gregory Campbell, at 18:34.
Maple Leafs 2, Bruins 2 2nd - 1:26Feb 15 8:37 PM
- Toronto Goal - Mikhail Grabovski (23), at 4:35.
Maple Leafs 2, Bruins 1 2nd - 15:25Feb 15 8:10 PM
- TORONTO: 1
End of 1st
Feb 15 7:47 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (20), at 17:22.
Maple Leafs 1, Bruins 1 1st - 2:38Feb 15 7:42 PM
- Dennis Seidenberg snap shot on James Reimer.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 1 1st - 10:55Feb 15 7:26 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 15 7:07 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12