Hall's natural hat trick lifts Edmonton over AtlantaFeb 20, 2011 - 12:37 AM
Ales Hemsky supplied an empty-net goal and collected two assists for Edmonton, which has won three games in a row. Devan Dubnyk made 28 saves.
Dustin Byfuglien, Andrew Ladd and Evander Kane lit the lamp for the Thrashers, who fell to 1-6-1 in February.
Chris Mason allowed four goals on 25 shots in his first start since January 15.
"We gave them life," Thrashers head coach Craig Ramsay said. "Everything was going in our favor and then we take three penalties and give them those power-play chances and get behind."
Kane gave the visitors a 3-1 lead 1:12 into the third period before Hall, the top pick in the 2010 draft, tallied twice in a span of 39 seconds. The tying marker came off a feed from Hemsky at 2:21.
Hall completed his natural trifecta and put Edmonton ahead 4-3 with 5:25 remaining, driving from the corner and poking in his own rebound.
"It's a great feeling anytime a player can get a hat trick and contribute to your team but if we don't get those power plays and play strong as a group in the third, I don't get those goals," Hall said.
Hemsky sealed the victory inside the final minute.
Byfuglien staked Atlanta to a 1-0 lead at 4:37 of the first period on a stoppable shot from the point.
Ladd doubled the advantage 59 seconds into the middle stanza when he roofed a rebound from in tight.
Linus Omark dished to a streaking Magnus Paajarvi, who fired a wrister between Mason's pads, putting Edmonton on the board with 5:03 left in the frame.
Atlanta defenseman Tobias Enstrom played in his 300th career game...Edmonton improved to 4-28-5 when trailing after two periods this season.
- ATLANTA: 3
Feb 19 6:07 PM
- Edmonton Empty Net Goal - Ales Hemsky (13), from Shawn Horcoff and Theo Peckham at 19:48.
Thrashers 3, Oilers 5 3rd - 0:12Feb 19 6:06 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Taylor Hall (20), at 14:35.
Thrashers 3, Oilers 4 3rd - 5:25Feb 19 5:56 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Taylor Hall (19), at 2:21.
Thrashers 3, Oilers 3 3rd - 17:39Feb 19 5:34 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Taylor Hall (18), at 1:42.
Thrashers 3, Oilers 2 3rd - 18:18Feb 19 5:31 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Evander Kane (17), from Zach Bogosian and Ron Hainsey at 1:12.
Thrashers 3, Oilers 1 3rd - 18:48Feb 19 5:30 PM
- ATLANTA: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 19 5:10 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Magnus Paajarvi (10), at 14:57.
Thrashers 2, Oilers 1 2nd - 5:03Feb 19 5:02 PM
- Ron Hainsey slap shot on Devan Dubnyk.
Thrashers 2, Oilers 0 2nd - 18:33Feb 19 4:33 PM
- ATLANTA: 1
End of 1st
Feb 19 4:12 PM
- Atlanta Goal - Dustin Byfuglien (18), at 4:37.
Thrashers 1, Oilers 0 1st - 15:23Feb 19 3:44 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 19 3:38 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Sharks look to forget past playoff collapse against Kings Apr 11
- Etem scores shootout winner as Canucks beat Oilers 4-3 Apr 10
- Oilers-Canucks Preview Apr 8