Islanders beat Roloson, LightningMar 23, 2011 - 3:57 AM
Josh Bailey, Kyle Okposo and Frans Nielsen also recorded goals for New York, which has won two straight following a three-game slide.
Roloson, facing his former club for the first time since a January trade sent him from the Isles to the Bolts, gave up four goals on 27 shots.
Dominic Moore and Nate Thompson both scored for Tampa Bay, which fell to 2-5-4 in March and remains in second place in the Southeast Division.
"Everyone has to find a way to put together two points to get it going," Thompson said of the team's struggles. "We have to find a way to win together."
Thompson's tally came 61 seconds into the game, but Bailey countered on the power play 10 minutes later to tie it. Both goals came off rebounds.
Okposo re-directed Milan Jurcina's point shot into the back of the net at the 5:16 mark of the second to give the Islanders the lead, and Martin beat Roloson with a backhand with 6:21 remaining in the middle stanza.
Despite being shorthanded early in the third, New York went up, 4-1, when Nielsen steadied a bouncing puck on a breakaway and fired a slap shot into the left corner of the net at 8:08.
New York's Radek Martinek was whistled for a double-minor less than a minute later, and Moore scored on the man-advantage.
Michael Grabner's empty netter with 45.3 seconds to go ended any chance of a dramatic comeback for the hosts.
"I thought we outplayed them in every facet of the game tonight," Okposo said. "And it showed in the scoreboard."
New York won the season series, 3-1, taking two in overtime...The Lightning went 1-for-7 on the power play...Lightning defenseman Mattias Ohlund played in his 900th career NHL game...Roloson was 14-9-4 with a 2.55 goals-against average and four shutouts in 27 games with Tampa Bay coming into the game... Tampa Bay forward Simon Gagne played after missing one game due to a pinched nerve in his neck. He was minus-three with one shot on net.
- NEW YORK: 5
TAMPA BAY: 2
Mar 22 10:08 PM
- NY Islanders Empty Net Goal - Michael Grabner (31), at 19:53.
Islanders 5, Lightning 2 3rd - 0:07Mar 22 10:07 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Dominic Moore (14), at 10:31.
Islanders 4, Lightning 2 3rd - 9:29Mar 22 9:44 PM
- NY Islanders Short-Handed Goal - Frans Nielsen (11), at 8:08.
Islanders 4, Lightning 1 3rd - 11:52Mar 22 9:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 3
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 22 9:07 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Martin (5), at 13:39.
Islanders 3, Lightning 1 2nd - 6:21Mar 22 8:54 PM
- Mattias Ohlund shot blocked by Micheal Haley.
Islanders 2, Lightning 1 2nd - 13:26Mar 22 8:42 PM
- Shot blocked by Marc-Andre Bergeron.
Islanders 1, Lightning 1 2nd - 14:47Mar 22 8:40 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Kyle Okposo (5), from Michael Grabner at 5:16.
Islanders 2, Lightning 1 2nd - 14:44Mar 22 8:40 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Mar 22 8:14 PM
- Milan Jurcina slap shot on Dwayne Roloson.
Islanders 1, Lightning 1 1st - 9:40Mar 22 7:58 PM
- Travis Hamonic slap shot on Dwayne Roloson.
Islanders 0, Lightning 1 1st - 18:48Mar 22 7:41 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 22 7:38 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17