Islanders down playoff-hopeful RangersApr 1, 2011 - 6:00 AM
Blake Comeau, P.A. Parenteau and Jesse Joensuu also lit the lamp for the Islanders, who halted a three-game losing streak.
Al Montoya stopped 25 shots, improving to 9-4-4 on the year.
"This is our chance to knock teams out," said Montoya, a former Ranger who had a big hand in keeping the visitors at bay. "We don't have much else to play for except next season. Right now it's all about coming together and seeing how long we can ride this out."
Vinny Prospal and Brandon Prust scored for the Rangers, who have lost three of four and remained locked in a tie with idle Buffalo for seventh place in the Eastern Conference. Both clubs have 87 points but the Sabres now have a game in hand.
Henrik Lundqvist was dented for four goals on 22 shots through two periods for the loss. Chad Johnson finished the game by yielding two more scores.
Comeau netted a rebound in front to tie the game 3:24 into the second period to tie the game 1-1, then Martinek ripped a shot over Lundqvist's glove 35 seconds later to put the Isles ahead for good.
Joensuu and Parenteau lit the lamp in a 1:16 span later in the second to make it a 4-1 edge for the home team.
It was 5-1 for the Islanders at 8:38 of the third period, when John Tavares' initial shot from the slot bounced high in the air only to be batted out of the air and past Johnson by Moulson.
Trevor Gillies hit the net with six minutes left and Prust added a tally in the final 15 seconds. Both clubs worked out some frustrations by engaging in some fisticuffs in the final minutes.
The Rangers hit the scoreboard with 5:35 left in the first period as Prospal followed up Marian Gaborik's blocked shot in the right circle and scored inside the near post.
"I think we're averaging one goal over our last five or six games. We got to find a way to get those numbers up," said Rangers defenseman Bryan McCabe. "We can't rely on 'Hank' every game to pitch a shutout. We have to start scoring."
The Rangers won the season series, 4-2-0...Islanders defenseman Dylan Reese notched a career-best three assists, while Tavares added a pair of helpers...Prospal's score halted the Rangers' scoreless string at 127 minutes, 46 seconds dating back to Saturday's 1-0 win over Boston...The clubs combined for 29 penalties and 122 penalty minutes...The Rangers were 0-for-8 on the power play.
- NEW YORK: 2
NEW YORK: 6
Mar 31 10:04 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brandon Dubinsky (23), at 19:46.
Rangers 2, Islanders 6 3rd - 0:14Mar 31 9:43 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Dylan Reese, at 14:00.
Rangers 1, Islanders 6 3rd - 6:00Mar 31 9:31 PM
- John Tavares wrist shot on Chad Johnson.
Rangers 1, Islanders 5 3rd - 11:23Mar 31 9:16 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW YORK: 4
End of 2nd
Mar 31 8:43 PM
- Kyle Okposo wrist shot on Henrik Lundqvist.
Rangers 1, Islanders 4 2nd - 3:41Mar 31 8:37 PM
- Matt Moulson backhand shot on Henrik Lundqvist.
Rangers 1, Islanders 3 2nd - 5:16Mar 31 8:34 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson (31), at 14:44.
Rangers 1, Islanders 4 2nd - 5:16Mar 31 8:34 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Jesse Joensuu (5), at 13:28.
Rangers 1, Islanders 3 2nd - 6:32Mar 31 8:31 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Radek Martinek (3), at 3:57.
Rangers 1, Islanders 2 2nd - 16:03Mar 31 8:13 PM
- P.A. Parenteau wrist shot on Henrik Lundqvist.
Rangers 1, Islanders 1 2nd - 16:14Mar 31 8:12 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Blake Comeau (22), at 3:24.
Rangers 1, Islanders 2 2nd - 16:36Mar 31 8:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Mar 31 7:50 PM
- Travis Hamonic slap shot is wide.
Rangers 1, Islanders 0 1st - 4:42Mar 31 7:33 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Vinny Prospal, at 14:25.
Rangers 2, Islanders 0 1st - 5:35Mar 31 7:32 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Vinny Prospal (6), at 14:25.
Rangers 1, Islanders 0 1st - 5:35Mar 31 7:31 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 31 7:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7