Kovalchuk, Devils get by LeafsApr 7, 2011 - 4:46 AM
Henrik Tallinder and Mattias Tedenby each scored a goal for the Devils, who had dropped their previous two coming in. Martin Brodeur stopped 22 shots in the win.
"They had a couple chances, not a lot of shots but they had their chances," said Brodeur. "They were able to get back in the game in the third, but we pulled it out."
Tyler Bozak and Phil Kessel each scored for the Maple Leafs, who have lost their past two. James Reimer stopped 18-of-21 shots in the loss. Jean- Sebastien Giguere played the third period and stopped all 11 shots he faced.
On the power play in the first, Kovalchuk gave his team a 1-0 lead with a wrister from the left circle for his 30th goal of the year with 6:13 to play.
It was 2-0 at the 14:29 mark of the second as Tedenby's one-timer from the right circle off a Kovalchuk feed beat Reimer and, just over a minute later, Tallinder's blast from the slot made it a three-goal game.
Kessel scored on the power play at the 6:18 mark of the third with a low shot from the slot and Bozak's shorthanded goal with 7:18 to play on a breakaway made it a one-goal game.
"I have missed quite a few short-handed breakaways this season," said Bozak. "I can't tell you what I did. I went in there and thought I'd go backhand and it worked."
However, Elias secured the win with an empty-netter in the final moments.
The Devils play in Manhattan against the Rangers on Saturday and end their season hosting Boston on Sunday...The Maple Leafs, who went 19-19-3 on the road this season, play their final game on Saturday in Toronto against the Canadiens.
- TORONTO: 2
NEW JERSEY: 4
Apr 6 9:28 PM
- Toronto Short-Handed Goal - Tyler Bozak (15), at 12:42.
Maple Leafs 2, Devils 3 3rd - 7:18Apr 6 9:14 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (31), from Joffrey Lupul at 6:18.
Maple Leafs 1, Devils 3 3rd - 13:42Apr 6 9:04 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW JERSEY: 3
End of 2nd
Apr 6 8:37 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Henrik Tallinder (5), at 15:34.
Maple Leafs 0, Devils 3 2nd - 4:26Apr 6 8:27 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Mattias Tedenby (8), from Ilya Kovalchuk and Patrik Elias at 14:29.
Maple Leafs 0, Devils 2 2nd - 5:31Apr 6 8:23 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Apr 6 7:46 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (30), at 13:47.
Maple Leafs 0, Devils 1 1st - 6:13Apr 6 7:36 PM
- Nick Palmieri shot hit the crossbar.
Maple Leafs 0, Devils 0 1st - 8:34Apr 6 7:29 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Nick Palmieri (9), from Travis Zajac at 11:24.
Maple Leafs 0, Devils 1 1st - 8:36Apr 6 7:28 PM
- TORONTO: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 6 7:11 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11