for this game

Canucks take 3-0 series lead over Blackhawks

Apr 18, 2011 - 4:24 AM
Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Mikael Samuelsson scored the go-ahead goal early in the third period, as the top-seeded Vancouver Canucks defeated the Chicago Blackhawks, 3-2, in Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal series at United Center.

Samuelsson, who missed Game 2 with an illness, returned to the lineup to give the Canucks a 3-0 series lead.

Christian Ehrhoff and Daniel Sedin both had a goal and an assist for Vancouver, which got 30 saves from Roberto Luongo.

"It's my job, obviously, to make the save at key times," Luongo said. "Usually you get an adrenaline boost off that and obviously we were able to turn the tables and get two goals in the second."

Duncan Keith and Patrick Sharp lit the lamp for the defending Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks, who can be eliminated in Game 4 on Tuesday.

Corey Crawford turned aside 23-of-26 shots for Chicago, which went 2-for-7 on the power play.

With the score tied at 2-2, Samuelsson found the back of the net at the 6:48 mark of the third period. Ehrhoff's shot from the point set up a rebound in front. Henrik Sedin's shot was also stopped by Crawford, but Samuelsson was there to backhand the disc into the net.

Chicago's second power play of the frame came at the 9:36 mark. But 1:10 into the man-advantage, Brian Campbell was sent to the box for elbowing to set up a 4-on-4 situation.

The Blackhawks were forced to pull Crawford with 1 1/2 minutes to play. Luongo, who made seven saves in the third, held strong between the pipes to preserve the victory.

Keith scored on the power play at the 6:54 mark of the first period to give the Blackhawks a 1-0 lead. Keith's blast from the right point sailed past Luongo.

Chicago failed to score on a 5-on-3 power play later in the stanza, and the home team went 1-for-4 on the man advantage in the first.

The Canucks went on the power play for the first time at the midway mark of the middle frame. Ehrhoff capitalized with a slapper from the point to make it 1-1.

Just 54 seconds later, Daniel Sedin scored to give Vancouver a 2-1 edge. Alexander Edler carried the puck down the left side of the ice and slid a pass in front for Daniel Sedin, who completed the play with a tip-in.

Canucks forward Raffi Torres, playing in his first game since a four-game suspension, put Chicago on the power play at the 12:14 mark. Torres put a big hit on Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook behind the net. The penalty was two minutes for interference.

"Brutal. Major. Absolutely," Blackhawks head coach Joel Quenneville said. "He (the referee) missed it. We could have scored four goals on that play. Is it a suspension? I don't have to worry about that. The guy didn't even get through his first game back off one. It's not my call."

The Blackhawks took advantage with 7:20 left in the second. Patrick Kane, positioned at the top of the right circle, slid a pass behind the net. Jonathan Toews gathered the disc and fed a pass in front to Sharp, whose shot beat Luongo for a 2-2 contest.

Game Notes

The Blackhawks have won three of the four playoff series against Vancouver, including victories in 2009 and 2010 conference semifinal fights...Blackhawks forwards Tomas Kopecky (upper body), Bryan Bickell (wrist) and Dave Bolland (concussion) missed the game...The Blackhawks had a strong 24-17-0 record as the home team this season and were 8-3 at United Center during last year's playoffs...The Canucks had an excellent 27-10-4 as the road club this season.