Kennedy, Pens take 2-1 series lead over Tampa BayApr 19, 2011 - 4:15 AM
Kennedy, picking up a loose puck in front of the net, scored just 31 seconds after Martin St. Louis tied the game at 2-2 with his second power play goal of the game for the Lightning.
Maxime Talbot and Arron Asham scored first period goals to give the Penguins an early lead, while Marc-Andre Fleury made 25 saves after giving up four goals on 20 shots in Pittsburgh's 5-1 loss in Game 2 Friday.
The Penguins will look to extend their lead in Game 4 Wednesday in Tampa.
Dwayne Roloson had 27 saves for the Lightning in this one, but was unable to keep the Penguins off the board early.
Pittsburgh jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Talbot and Asham that were separated by just 45 seconds.
Talbot scored through traffic from above the right circle, while Asham was set up by Michael Rupp's pass under sliding Tampa defenseman Pavel Kubina, jamming home a one-timer from the left side at 6:31.
"To get those quick goals early, those were big," said Fleury. "It helps to play with a lead coming into this building. It helped me settle down a bit."
Later in the first, Pittsburgh's Alex Kovalev went off for goaltender interference -- he appeared to be cross-checked into Roloson -- and the Lightning cashed in for their first goal.
St. Louis deftly used his skate, kicking the puck to his backhand and beating Fleury in close on the right side with 4:41 left in the first period.
Roloson made nine saves and Fleury had six in a scoreless second period. But Fleury was caught scrambling and couldn't get back in time for St. Louis' shot from the bottom of the right circle, which tied the game at 2-2 just 2:12 into the third.
"They're tough to beat. We also know they're 29th in the league on comebacks in the third period," said Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher. "Obviously the team that has the lead going into the third has some sort of an advantage, but as you saw, we came back. We came back from two goals."
Kennedy, jumping on a loose puck after a long shot, gave Pittsburgh its lead back when he scored through a mass of down players at the other end of the ice.
"I like the way his line played tonight with Kunitz and Staal," said Pittsburgh head coach Dan Bylsma. "Kennedy had some good chances tonight and again just going out steadying that shift with his play tonight. He also brings a threat winning the faceoffs, going to the net and adding an offensive punch when we needed it."
The Penguins later fought off a roughing penalty on Rupp, who was whistled for holding Lightning forward Ryan Malone down in the Pittsburgh crease.
This playoff series is the first-ever postseason meeting between these clubs...Pittsburgh was 0-for-2 on the power play, while Tampa Bay went 2- for-4.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
TAMPA BAY: 2
Apr 18 10:18 PM
- Teddy Purcell wrist shot on Marc-Andre Fleury.
Penguins 3, Lightning 2 3rd - 16:15Apr 18 9:45 PM
- Brooks Orpik slap shot on Dwayne Roloson.
Penguins 2, Lightning 2 3rd - 17:19Apr 18 9:43 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Tyler Kennedy, from Brooks Orpik at 2:43.
Penguins 3, Lightning 2 3rd - 17:17Apr 18 9:43 PM
- Tampa Bay Power-Play Goal - Martin St. Louis (3), at 2:12.
Penguins 2, Lightning 2 3rd - 17:48Apr 18 9:40 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Apr 18 9:18 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 2
TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Apr 18 8:21 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Martin St. Louis, at 15:19.
Penguins 2, Lightning 1 1st - 4:41Apr 18 8:11 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Arron Asham (2), from Michael Rupp at 6:31.
Penguins 2, Lightning 0 1st - 13:29Apr 18 7:50 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Maxime Talbot, at 5:46.
Penguins 1, Lightning 0 1st - 14:14Apr 18 7:48 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Apr 18 7:40 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17