Bruins take series lead on Thomas' shutoutMay 20, 2011 - 5:55 AM
David Krejci and Andrew Ference scored for Boston, which holds a 2-1 edge in the best-of-seven series. The Bruins had won Game 2 by a 6-5 score, and will try to take control of the matchup Saturday, when the Lightning host Game 4.
Boston was boosted by the return of forward Patrice Bergeron, who had been out since suffering a concussion in Game 4 of the East semifinals against Philadelphia. He played a little more than 19 minutes and took two shots.
Tampa Bay goaltender Dwayne Roloson allowed both goals on 25 shots, and gave up the first only 69 seconds into the game.
Milan Lucic picked up a loose puck in the right corner before centering for a wide-open Krejci in front of the crease. Roloson moved forward to stop the forehand shot but quickly found himself out of position as Krejci shifted to the backhand.
Krejci easily shot past the goaltender, who was stretched out on his back and powerless to stop the puck.
Thomas made the lead stand, stopping 10 shots in the first period and six in the second.
"Thomas saw a lot of the pucks," said Lightning winger Martin St. Louis. "We didn't make his job tough enough."
Boston nearly scored a second goal with about 6 1/2 minutes left in the middle period, when it had the puck in the crease, but the Lightning quickly cleared it out.
But the Bruins did gain a 2-0 advantage at the 8:12 mark of the third. Andrew Ference's shot from the left point squeezed through Roloson's pads and trickled across the goal line.
"Getting the first quick goal definitely helped the whole team," Thomas said. "Not just sitting back in the third, but going out and getting that second goal made us able to stay relaxed and calm throughout the whole game."
Thomas turned aside 15 shots in the final period to secure the win.
Thomas' other playoff shutout came during the 2009 postseason, when he stopped 19 shots in a 4-0 victory over Carolina in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals...Both teams went 0-for-3 on the power play.
- BOSTON: 2
TAMPA BAY: 0
May 19 10:43 PM
- Boston Goal - Chris Kelly (5), from Andrew Ference at 8:12.
Bruins 2, Lightning 0 3rd - 11:48May 19 10:21 PM
- BOSTON: 1
TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
May 19 8:49 PM
- Boston Goal - David Krejci (7), at 1:09.
Bruins 1, Lightning 0 1st - 18:51May 19 8:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
May 19 8:12 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17