Leafs down Jets in shootoutOct 20, 2011 - 4:14 AM
Phil Kessel added a goal and two assists for the Maple Leafs, who have kicked off a season at 4-0-1 for a second straight year.
"Time will have to tell if he finds a way to be more consistent," said Leafs head coach Ron Wilson of Kessel's early-season breakout. He's backchecking, forechecking, making good decisions with the puck and staying on top of things. He wants the puck all the time, he's demanding it and he's getting it. That's the most important thing."
James Reimer stopped 26-of-29 shots through 65 minutes then both chances in the shootout to earn the win.
Tobias Enstrom and Alex Burmistrov lit the lamp for the Jets, who have lost four of five to begin their initial Canadian campaign.
Mark Schiefele netted his first career NHL goal, but Ondrej Pavelec allowed tallies to Lupul and Matt Frattin in the shootout to take the loss.
Winnipeg hit the scoreboard just prior to the midway point of the first period, when Enstrom's low point shot drifted through traffic and in for a power-play score.
Toronto knotted the score with 8:21 left in the period, as Lupul was alone at the left post to slam home a Kessel dish which hit the television camera at the back before caroming out. Play resumed for several seconds before the trailing official was able to confirm the tally.
Burmistrov put the Jets up 2-1 at 2:27 of the second, tapping in a pass from Nik Antropov on the doorstep, and Schiefele notched his milestone score on a power play at 7:53.
The 18-year-old southern Ontario native was the beneficiary of a good rebound of a Dustin Byfuglien shot, and he deposited the rebound into an open cage from the left side.
"You know it was definitely special to get it here in front of a bunch of people that came to the game," Scheifele admitted about his first career marker. Still, it would have been nicer to get the win."
Lupul managed to slip a shot between Pavelec's pads on a Leafs power play at 7:28 of the third period, thanks to an accidental deflection off Enstrom's stick and the home team got within 3-2.
Just 27 seconds later, Toronto tied the score on another advantage. Dion Phaneuf faked a shot from the left point, but passed to Kessel alone in the left circle for a blistering, successful one-timer.
Pavelec was out of position with under two minutes left, but was saved from disaster when David Steckel hit the outside of the Winnipeg goaler's pad from just in front of the goal line.
Reimer stopped three shots and Pavelec one in overtime.
Kessel snapped a tie with Anze Kopitar of the Los Angeles Kings and leads the NHL in scoring with 12 points (7G, 5A)...The Atlanta/Winnipeg franchise has dropped four of its last six games in Toronto, while the "Winnipeg Jets" have not won in Ontario's largest city since the club which became the Coyotes posted a 4-2 decision on January 17, 1996...Maple Leafs forward Colby Armstrong left in the first period with an apparent left leg injury and did not return...Prior to the game, Toronto announced that forward Nazem Kadri was assigned to the AHL...Pavelec stopped 20 shots in regulation and OT.
- WINNIPEG: 3
Final - 2OT
Oct 19 10:15 PM
- WINNIPEG: 3
End of OT
Oct 19 10:09 PM
- WINNIPEG: 3
End of Regulation
Oct 19 10:02 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Phil Kessel (7), from Dion Phaneuf and John-Michael Liles at 7:55.
Jets 3, Maple Leafs 3 3rd - 12:05Oct 19 9:40 PM
- Toronto Power-Play Goal - Joffrey Lupul (4), from John-Michael Liles and Phil Kessel at 7:28.
Jets 3, Maple Leafs 2 3rd - 12:32Oct 19 9:38 PM
- WINNIPEG: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 19 9:08 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Mark Scheifele, from Dustin Byfuglien at 7:53.
Jets 3, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 12:07Oct 19 8:48 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Alexander Burmistrov, from Nik Antropov and Kyle Wellwood at 2:27.
Jets 2, Maple Leafs 1 2nd - 17:33Oct 19 8:38 PM
- WINNIPEG: 1
End of 1st
Oct 19 8:17 PM
- Toronto Goal - Joffrey Lupul (3), at 11:40.
Jets 1, Maple Leafs 1 1st - 8:20Oct 19 8:01 PM
- Winnipeg Power-Play Goal - Tobias Enstrom, at 9:49.
Jets 1, Maple Leafs 0 1st - 10:11Oct 19 7:56 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 19 7:39 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Capitals finally able to turn attention to playoffs Apr 11
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8
- Maple Leafs-Devils Preview Apr 8