Habs roll over FlyersOct 27, 2011 - 3:00 AM
Pacioretty suffered ligament damage in his wrist on Monday in a 2-1 loss to the Florida Panthers, but his wrist looked fine on Wednesday, as he helped the Canadiens earn their first win on home ice this season.
"90 percent of the league plays hurt every night, a lot of the guys do it," Pacioretty said. It was a great team game tonight. It seems I always play better after an injury."
Yannick Weber, Andrei Kostitsyn and Mike Cammalleri netted the other goals for Montreal, which got 21 saves in net from Carey Price.
Jaromir Jagr scored the only goal for the Flyers, who lost for the first time on the road this season.
Ilya Bryzgalov made 23 saves in defeat for Philadelphia.
Philadelphia jumped out to a 1-0 lead at the 10:43 mark of the first period thanks to some ferocious forechecking. The Flyers forwards swarmed to every Montreal player as they tried to clear the zone. Philly forced a turnover in the right corner. Scott Hartnell found Matt Carle at the left point, who then fed Jagr, wide open at the right circle, and the veteran winger one-timed it in behind Price.
Montreal answered back on the power play with just 2.6 seconds remaining in the first period when the Flyers coughed up the puck in the defensive zone and it found its way to Weber, who blasted one past Bryzgalov.
After the Flyers committed hockey's cardinal sin, Montreal took control from there.
"They scored with two seconds left, that was a tough goal," Jagr said. "It's always tough at the end of the period, it changes the momentum. They're not a poor team, they've just lost six games."
The Canadiens took a 2-1 lead at the 10:26 mark of the second period off a mad scramble in front of Bryzgalov as a result of a shot from the slot by Jaroslav Spacek and Kostitsyn was there to jam home a rebound to put his team in front.
Just over two minutes later, Montreal made it 3-1 when P.K. Subban wristed one from the right point that went off a body in front and the rebound went right to Pacioretty, who wristed it in behind the Philly netminder from the right circle at 12:38 of the second stanza.
The Canadiens pushed their lead to 4-1 at 3:16 of the third period. Josh Georges wristed one from the right point and it hit Matt Walker's glove. That forced Bryzgalov to make an awkward glove save, but he could not corral the rebound and Pacioretty was there to poke home the rebound for his second goal of the game.
Cammalleri ended any thoughts of a Flyers comeback at 15:36 of the final period as a result of some sloppy play in the defensive zone by the Flyers. Philadelphia gave away the puck behind the net to David Desharnais, who found Cammalleri alone in the slot and the crafty winger made no mistake, one-timing it home to seal the win.
The Flyers are 63-75-30-4 all-time against Montreal...Prior to Wednesday's game, the Canadiens fired assistant coach Perry Pearn...Philadelphia was outshot for only the second time this season...Price got his 100th career NHL win...The Canadiens went 1-for-5 on the power play, while Philadelphia was 0- for-4 with the man advantage...Philadelphia plays at home on Thursday against the Winnipeg Jets, while Montreal will travel to Boston to battle the defending champion Bruins, also on Thursday...The Flyers are 3-1-0 on the road this season, while Montreal improved to 1-3-2 at home.
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
Oct 26 10:06 PM
- Montreal Goal - Mike Cammalleri (3), at 15:36.
Flyers 1, Canadiens 5 3rd - 4:24Oct 26 9:59 PM
- Tomas Plekanec shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Flyers 1, Canadiens 4 3rd - 16:45Oct 26 9:33 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 26 9:10 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (3), at 12:38.
Flyers 1, Canadiens 3 2nd - 7:22Oct 26 8:53 PM
- Montreal Goal - Andrei Kostitsyn (3), from Jaroslav Spacek and Max Pacioretty at 10:26.
Flyers 1, Canadiens 2 2nd - 9:34Oct 26 8:49 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 1
End of 1st
Oct 26 8:14 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Yannick Weber (2), at 19:57.
Flyers 1, Canadiens 1 1st - 0:03Oct 26 8:13 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jaromir Jagr (3), at 10:43.
Flyers 1, Canadiens 0 1st - 9:17Oct 26 7:57 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 26 7:41 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23