Pominville leads Buffalo past ColumbusOct 28, 2011 - 3:50 AM
Brad Boyes and Patrick Kaleta both had a goal for the Sabres, who halted a two-game slide. Jhonas Enroth stopped 41 shots.
"We found a way. We're not too happy about the way we played, our effort," Pominville said.
Vinny Prospal and Fedor Tyutin scored for Columbus, which was coming off its first win of the season. Steve Mason made 22 saves.
"Sometimes you just don't get rewarded for effort," said Blue Jackets defenseman James Wisniewski.
Buffalo grabbed a 1-0 lead late in the first period. A hooking penalty on the Blue Jackets' Aaron Johnson put the Sabres on the power play and Boyes took advantage, receiving a cross-ice pass from Vanek and one-timing a knuckler past Mason.
Vanek, who leads Buffalo with 14 points, set up Pominville early in the second period. His shot from the point deflected off of Mason and Pominville drove home the rebound for a 2-0 Sabres lead.
Columbus, which went winless over its first eight games of the season before defeating the Red Wings, 4-1, on Tuesday, would rally.
Later in the second, Prospal received an outlet pass from Antoine Vermette and fired a long wrister past Enroth to put the Blue Jackets on the board.
Midway through the third, Pominville made a diving deflection of a Samuel Pahlsson pass, but Tyutin secured the loose puck and poked it into the net for the game-tying goal.
With under six minutes remaining, the Sabres responded, as Kaleta played a pass off the boards and beat Mason with a backhander for his first goal of the season.
Vanek again connected with Pominville to cap the scoring late in the third. On the power play, Vanek carried the puck from behind the net and found Pominville for a one-time tally and a 4-2 decision.
Kaleta recorded his fifth career game-winning goal...This was the first meeting of the year between Buffalo and Columbus. The teams will meet again on November 25.
- COLUMBUS: 2
Oct 27 9:47 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Jason Pominville (4), from Thomas Vanek and Brad Boyes at 17:36.
Blue Jackets 2, Sabres 4 3rd - 2:24Oct 27 9:41 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Patrick Kaleta, at 14:08.
Blue Jackets 2, Sabres 3 3rd - 5:52Oct 27 9:32 PM
- Columbus Goal - Fedor Tyutin, from Samuel Pahlsson at 10:51.
Blue Jackets 2, Sabres 2 3rd - 9:09Oct 27 9:28 PM
- COLUMBUS: 1
End of 2nd
Oct 27 8:50 PM
- Cody McCormick shot blocked by Fedor Tyutin.
Blue Jackets 1, Sabres 2 2nd - 7:29Oct 27 8:35 PM
- Thomas Vanek slap shot on Steve Mason.
Blue Jackets 0, Sabres 2 2nd - 15:10Oct 27 8:19 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
End of 1st
Oct 27 7:55 PM
- Buffalo Power-Play Goal - Brad Boyes (2), from Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville at 14:07.
Blue Jackets 0, Sabres 1 1st - 5:53Oct 27 7:40 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 27 7:11 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Blackhawks positioned for more success next season Apr 26
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23
- Ducks, Preds hope to get rolling early in first-round series Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12