Horton scores twice as Bruins pound IslandersNov 8, 2011 - 5:44 AM
David Krejci had a goal and two assists, Milan Lucic had a goal and an assist while Tyler Seguin and Benoit Pouliot each added a goal for the Bruins, who have won three straight. Tuukka Rask stopped 24 shots for his first win of the season.
"Three wins is nice and I think we're playing a lot better hockey," said Horton. "All the lines are contributing and that's what you need to win in this league."
Michael Grabner and Matt Moulson each had a goal and an assist for the Islanders, who have dropped seven of their last eight games.
Evgeni Nabokov started the game in net, but didn't make it out of the first period as he gave up three goals on 12 shots. Al Montoya played the rest of the game and allowed two goals on 24 shots.
"They are a good team over there with a lot of skill and a lot of size," said Nabokov. "They had a lot of chances in our zone and we didn't find a way to limit them."
Just 1:32 in, Boston took the lead when Jordan Caron picked up a turnover along the left side of the net and centered it for Pouliot, who jammed it in for his first goal of the season.
A little over four minutes later, the Islanders tied the game when Steve Staios one-timed a bank off the boards from the right point and Moulson snapped home the rebound.
However, the Bruins scored at the 13:38 mark on the power play as Zdeno Chara blasted a shot from the left point and Horton wristed home the rebound from the left circle.
It was a 3-1 game just 29 seconds later as Seguin took a pass in front and flung home a wrister over the glove of Nabokov, who was pulled after the goal.
New York got one back with 1:24 to play in the opening period. Moulson whacked the puck out of mid-air near the blueline and passed it over to Jonathan Tavares, who skated to the left before centering it for a Grabner one-timer.
The second period went scoreless as Montoya stopped 16 shots and Rask turned aside 12.
Boston made it a 4-2 game 4:34 into the third when a neutral zone turnover resulted in a give-and-go between Horton and Lucic with Horton taking a pass and from the low right side sending it over to the left for the easy redirect from Lucic.
Less than a minute later, Joe Corvo slapped a shot from the right point that was stopped, but Horton was in front to backhand the rebound in.
Krejci sealed the win with a empty-netter with 2:48 to play.
The Islanders play at Colorado on Thursday...Boston hosts Edmonton on Thursday...The Bruins took three of four from the Islanders last season...Boston went 1-for-1 on the power play while New York was 0- for-4...Boston forward Daniel Paille was hit in the face by the puck off a slap shot in the third period and did not return. He was helped off the ice and Boston head coach Calude Julien said he would be seen by specialists.
- NEW YORK: 2
Nov 7 9:29 PM
- Boston Empty Net Goal - David Krejci (3), at 17:12.
Islanders 2, Bruins 6 3rd - 2:48Nov 7 9:26 PM
- Boston Goal - Nathan Horton (4), from Joe Corvo and Dennis Seidenberg at 5:23.
Islanders 2, Bruins 5 3rd - 14:37Nov 7 9:03 PM
- Boston Goal - Milan Lucic (7), at 4:34.
Islanders 2, Bruins 4 3rd - 15:26Nov 7 9:01 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 7 8:34 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 1st
Nov 7 7:45 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Michael Grabner (4), at 18:36.
Islanders 2, Bruins 3 1st - 1:24Nov 7 7:42 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (8), at 14:07.
Islanders 1, Bruins 3 1st - 5:53Nov 7 7:32 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Nathan Horton (3), from Zdeno Chara and David Krejci at 13:38.
Islanders 1, Bruins 2 1st - 6:22Nov 7 7:32 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson (3), from Mark Streit at 5:52.
Islanders 1, Bruins 1 1st - 14:08Nov 7 7:20 PM
- Boston Goal - Benoit Pouliot, at 1:35.
Islanders 0, Bruins 1 1st - 18:25Nov 7 7:13 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 7 7:10 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6