B's double up Oilers, push win streak to 4 gamesNov 11, 2011 - 3:39 AM
Milan Lucic, Jordan Caron and Johnny Boychuk also lit the lamp for the Bruins, who have won a season-high four straight games.
Tuukka Rask stopped 27-of-30 shots for the win.
"You've got to allow him to get on a roll a little bit. Get him close to the best he can be," said Bruins head coach Claude Julien of dusting off his backup netminder for two straight games.
Ryan Smyth netted a pair of goals and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins posted the other for the Oilers, who have lost two of three since winning six in a row.
Devan Dubnyk was shelled for all six goals on 28 shots in defeat.
Edmonton trimmed its deficit to 4-3 with 4:42 left in regulation during a power play, when Smyth left his stick inside the crease at the left post to redirect a pass from Eric Belanger.
But the home team potted two scores in a 44-second span to lock up the game.
It was 5-3 for the Bruins with 2:47 to go when Corvo dished across to Lucic for a successful tap in from atop the crease, then Marchand found the net off a turnover with 2:03 left.
"We can respect them, but we shouldn't fear them," Smyth said of the defending champions. "We fought back, showed some character to get back into the hockey game but when you play catch-up against a team like this, it's tough."
The Bruins hit the scoreboard at 7:11 of the opening period when Boychuk ripped a shot through traffic -- including a David Krejci screen -- and past Dubnyk.
Boston doubled its edge less than two minutes later when Caron's shot from the high slot deflected off the stick of Oilers defenseman Ladislav Smid and trickled inside the left post.
Smyth tipped in a Theo Peckham drive inside of eight minutes left in the first. and 29 seconds later it was 2-2 as Taylor Hall and Nugent-Hopkins worked a give-and-go ending with the latter firing home from the right circle.
Marchant gave the B's a 3-2 edge on a power play at 3:50 of the second period by redirecting a Corvo floater from between the circles, then Seguin roofed a loose puck at 6:24 to restore the two-goal margin.
Boston improved to 7-0-0 this season when scoring at least three goals...The Bruins have outscored the opposition 24-8 during their win streak...Corvo ended with three assists...Smyth notched his second multi-goal effort of the season, following a two-goal performance against St. Louis on October 30...Ales Hemsky added two helpers for the Oilers...Boston hosts Buffalo on Saturday, while Edmonton travels to Detroit on Friday.
- EDMONTON: 3
Nov 10 9:33 PM
- Boston Goal - Brad Marchand (4), at 17:37.
Oilers 3, Bruins 6 3rd - 2:23Nov 10 9:30 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Milan Lucic (8), from Joe Corvo and Nathan Horton at 17:13.
Oilers 3, Bruins 5 3rd - 2:47Nov 10 9:27 PM
- Edmonton Power-Play Goal - Ryan Smyth (9), at 15:18.
Oilers 3, Bruins 4 3rd - 4:42Nov 10 9:22 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of 2nd
Nov 10 8:39 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (9), at 6:24.
Oilers 2, Bruins 4 2nd - 13:36Nov 10 8:14 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Brad Marchand (3), from Joe Corvo and Tyler Seguin at 3:50.
Oilers 2, Bruins 3 2nd - 16:10Nov 10 8:10 PM
- EDMONTON: 2
End of 1st
Nov 10 7:46 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (7), at 12:31.
Oilers 2, Bruins 2 1st - 7:29Nov 10 7:33 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Smyth (8), at 12:02.
Oilers 1, Bruins 2 1st - 7:58Nov 10 7:32 PM
- Boston Goal - Jordan Caron, from Zach Hamill at 8:55.
Oilers 0, Bruins 2 1st - 11:05Nov 10 7:24 PM
- Boston Goal - Johnny Boychuk (2), at 7:11.
Oilers 0, Bruins 1 1st - 12:49Nov 10 7:20 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 10 7:08 PM
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13