Versteeg's hat trick leads Panthers past JetsNov 11, 2011 - 6:12 AM
Mike Santorelli and Jason Garrison added goals for the Panthers, who have won their past two games. Brian Campbell added three assists while Jose Theodore stopped 25 shots in the win.
"Nice to get that and it's nice to get it in a win," said Versteeg. "Nice to get both of these road wins and now it's back home for us."
Tim Stapleton and Andrew Ladd each scored for the Jets, who have dropped their past four games. Ondrej Pavelec gave up four goals on 15 shots over two periods of play, while Peter Mannino stopped all four shots he faced in the third period.
"If you want to win in this game you have to play all 60 minutes as hard as you can," said Pavelec. "Obviously I didn't do that tonight. The guys battled in the third, but it's hard to come back from four goals down."
Versteeg's first goal of the game came 7:14 in when Versteeg banged home the rebound of a Tomas Fleischmann shot.
A little over 10 minutes later on the power play, Versteeg made it a 2-0 game when he received a feed in the slot from Fleischmann, snapped a shot on net that was stopped then snuck home his own rebound.
"They came out with a ton of energy and they really came at us hard. We absorbed that and then we score that first goal and then the game kind of settles down," Panthers head coach Kevin Dineen said. "I just liked our overall game tonight."
Florida made it a 3-0 game 4:53 into the second when Garrison one-timed home a Versteeg pass for his sixth goal of the season.
With under two minutes to play in the second, the Panthers took a 4-0 advantage as Campbell threw a shot on net that was stopped and Santorelli used a turn-around shot from the low left circle to get it past Pavelec.
Winnipeg got on the board at the 2:28 mark of the third as Stapleton jammed in a loose puck at the left side during a scrum in front on the power play and Ladd made it a 4-2 game three minutes later with his fourth of the season.
However, that was as close as it got and Versteeg capped his hat trick with an empty-netter with 1:19 to play.
"We were better in the third, but we didn't deserve to win the game," Jets head coach Claude Noel said. "We didn't play very well. You can't win when your players don't play to their potential."
Florida hosts Philadelphia on Sunday...Winnipeg plays at Columbus on Saturday...The only other meeting this season between these teams saw Winnipeg take a 4-3 shootout win in Florida on October 31...Florida went 2-for-5 on the power play while WInnipeg was 1-for-3.
- FLORIDA: 5
Nov 10 11:06 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (4), at 5:40.
Panthers 4, Jets 2 3rd - 14:20Nov 10 10:35 PM
- Dustin Byfuglien snap shot on Jose Theodore.
Panthers 4, Jets 1 3rd - 17:34Nov 10 10:29 PM
- FLORIDA: 4
End of 2nd
Nov 10 10:08 PM
- Marcel Goc wrist shot is over the net.
Panthers 4, Jets 0 2nd - 1:39Nov 10 10:06 PM
- Brian Campbell slap shot on Ondrej Pavelec.
Panthers 3, Jets 0 2nd - 1:58Nov 10 10:05 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Mike Santorelli (2), at 18:04.
Panthers 4, Jets 0 2nd - 1:56Nov 10 10:05 PM
- Florida Goal - Jason Garrison (6), at 4:53.
Panthers 3, Jets 0 2nd - 15:07Nov 10 9:39 PM
- FLORIDA: 2
End of 1st
Nov 10 9:16 PM
- Florida Power-Play Goal - Kris Versteeg (7), from Brian Campbell and Dmitry Kulikov at 17:27.
Panthers 2, Jets 0 1st - 2:33Nov 10 9:13 PM
- Sean Bergenheim wrap-around shot hit the goalpost.
Panthers 1, Jets 0 1st - 11:53Nov 10 8:54 PM
- FLORIDA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 10 8:40 PM
- Panthers make Tallon president, Rowe GM May 16
- Florida Panthers, Erik Gudbranson agree on 1-year deal May 9
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists May 5
- Jaromir Jagr returning to Florida Panthers on 1-year deal May 5
- Calgary fires Bob Hartley, a season after coach of the year May 3
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Panthers indicate that Mitchell's career likely over Apr 26
- Panthers came far in 2015-16, now eyeing the future Apr 25
- Islanders advance to second round for first time since 1993 Apr 25
- Islanders beat Panthers 2-1 in 2OTs to end playoff drought Apr 25