Rangers score 4 in the third, extend win streak to 6 gamesNov 12, 2011 - 4:05 AM
Ryan Callahan made it three-goals in three minutes with his tally at the 13:47 mark, as New York moved to 5-1-1 over its first seven games at Madison Square Garden. Henrik Lundqvist stopped 34 shots, as the Rangers won their sixth in a row for the first time since a seven-game tear from October 3-17, 2009.
"It was good that other people chipped in. I thought the biggest factor in our game was - most of this year - we stay with it," Rangers coach John Tortorella said. "We try to stay with our game. Everybody did that. We had some contributions from other people."
Alexei Ponikarovsky scored in the second period for Carolina, which lost its fourth in a row. Cam Ward made 35 saves, but gave up for goals on 17 shots in the final period.
The Rangers took advantage of an Eric Staal high-sticking penalty to notch the go-ahead goal. Brad Richards sent a no-look pass from the left circle to the right one, where Girardi lifted the high shot over Ward at the 10:47 mark for a 2-1 lead.
Then, off the ensuing faceoff, the Rangers rushed into the zone on the right side, where Michael Sauer sent the puck toward the net. Ward made a kick save, but Dubinsky was alone in front for the open-net tally, his first goal of the season.
"You can't ask for a better gift than a wide open net with the puck on your stick, especially when you're in dire need of a goal," Dubinsky said.
Callahan scored on a loose puck in front and the Carolina collapse was complete with 1:34 remaining when Ward accidentally left the puck behind his own net, resulting in a goal from Richards.
The Hurricanes had a 4-on-2 rush midway through the opening period, but Jeff Woywitka blocked a shot and then sent the puck out of the zone. Sean Avery picked up the disc and skated through the right circle before roofing a shot over Ward at the 9:43 mark.
"It's disappointing to say the least," Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice said. "Those are the chances you have to make something happen."
Lundqvist stopped 14 shots in the first period, but the Hurricanes netted the equalizer with 3:38 left in the second. Jamie McBain took the puck in his own zone and sent it ahead on a touch pass from Zach Boychuk to Ponikarovsky, who let go a successful shot from the left circle.
The Rangers are seven wins shy of 2,500...The Blueshirts have registered at least one point in 10 of the last 12 games...Since joining the NHL in 1979, the Hurricanes franchise has won just 19 times in 58 visits to MSG...The Rangers' 5-1-1 start through seven games at Madison Square Garden is their best start at home since they posted a record of 5-1-1-0 through seven home games to begin the 1992-93 season.
- CAROLINA: 1
NEW YORK: 5
Nov 11 9:28 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brad Richards (5), at 18:26.
Hurricanes 1, Rangers 5 3rd - 1:34Nov 11 9:24 PM
- Derek Stepan backhand shot on Cam Ward.
Hurricanes 1, Rangers 4 3rd - 5:39Nov 11 9:15 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brandon Dubinsky, from Ryan Callahan at 10:56.
Hurricanes 1, Rangers 3 3rd - 9:04Nov 11 9:11 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dan Girardi, at 10:47.
Hurricanes 1, Rangers 2 3rd - 9:13Nov 11 9:10 PM
- CAROLINA: 1
NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 11 8:35 PM
- Tomas Kaberle wrist shot on Henrik Lundqvist.
Hurricanes 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 3:09Nov 11 8:29 PM
- Alexei Ponikarovsky wrist shot on Henrik Lundqvist.
Hurricanes 0, Rangers 1 2nd - 3:38Nov 11 8:28 PM
- Carolina Goal - Alexei Ponikarovsky (3), at 16:22.
Hurricanes 1, Rangers 1 2nd - 3:38Nov 11 8:28 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Nov 11 7:44 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Sean Avery, at 9:43.
Hurricanes 0, Rangers 1 1st - 10:17Nov 11 7:25 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 11 7:10 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Apr 24
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 23