Canucks upend struggling IslandersNov 14, 2011 - 6:24 AM
Cody Hodgson and David Booth each added a goal and an assist, while Roberto Luongo stopped 23-of-24 shots in Vancouver's third win in four games.
Matt Moulson notched the lone goal for the Islanders and Evgeni Nabokov stopped 32 shots as New York fell to 4-7-3 on the year.
"We still need to get better in some areas," Islanders forward John Tavares said. "But we stuck with it and played hard."
Rome put the Canucks ahead less than two minutes into the opening period when Booth fell while trying a wraparound, but the puck slid right to Rome in the slot and he quickly backhanded a shot into the net.
It stayed a one-goal game until Henrik Sedin took a wrister from the right point that knuckled off the glove of Nabokov and into the short side 34 seconds into the second.
Moulson brought the Islanders back within one with 4:51 to go in the second period by cleaning up a rebound in front of the net.
But a delay of game penalty on New York early in the third led to Hodgson's power play goal on a deflection, and Booth put the game away by placing the puck in the empty net with the goaltender on the bench.
"We worked real hard tonight," Canucks head coach Alain Vigneault said.
Vancouver improved to 4-2-1 as the host this season, while the Islanders fell to 0-4-2 on the road...The Canucks did not have a penalty called on them in the contest.
- NEW YORK: 1
Nov 13 11:20 PM
- Vancouver Empty Net Goal - David Booth (2), at 16:59.
Islanders 1, Canucks 4 3rd - 3:01Nov 13 11:17 PM
- Vancouver Power-Play Goal - Cody Hodgson (4), from Aaron Rome at 2:47.
Islanders 1, Canucks 3 3rd - 17:13Nov 13 10:51 PM
- NEW YORK: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 13 10:29 PM
- NY Islanders Goal - Matt Moulson, from Michael Grabner and John Tavares at 15:09.
Islanders 1, Canucks 2 2nd - 4:51Nov 13 10:22 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Henrik Sedin (6), at :34.
Islanders 0, Canucks 2 2nd - 19:26Nov 13 9:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Nov 13 9:40 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Aaron Rome (3), at 1:57.
Islanders 0, Canucks 1 1st - 18:03Nov 13 9:11 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 13 9:08 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- GM Garth Snow focused on helping Islanders 'take next step' May 12
- Revamped Penguins, speedy Lightning set for East finals May 12
- Islanders head into summer with possible changes looming May 10
- Confident Lightning headed to East final again May 9
- Hedman, Bishop lead Lightning back to East final May 8
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 8
- Islanders-Lightning Preview May 7
- Lightning: This is no time for letdown against Islanders May 7
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 7
- Garrison's OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders May 7
- Islanders look for win amid improved play against Lightning May 6