Giroux, Flyers down HurricanesNov 15, 2011 - 4:52 AM
Chris Pronger had three assists while Matt Read added a goal and an assist for the Flyers, who have won three of four. Sergei Bobrovsky stopped 17 shots for the win.
"We worked hard out there tonight," said Philadelphia head coach Peter Laviolette. "We kind of let things slip there for a bit and we have to work on that, finishing strong."
Patrick Dwyer scored twice shorthanded, with one coming on a penalty shot, while Tuomo Ruutu also lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who have lost five of six.
Cam Ward started the game in net for Carolina, but was pulled in the second period after giving up four goals on 17 shots. Brian Boucher stopped 10-of-11 the rest of the way.
"I thought we got better in the later parts of the game," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice. "But we were in a big hole by the time we were ready to play and their goaltender came up with some good saves."
The Flyers struck just 1:19 in when Jaromir Jagr sent a pass through the neutral zone for Giroux, who got behind the defense and snapped a shot over the glove of Ward.
At the 8:50 mark, Philly made it a 2-0 game as Read sent a pass from behind the net to the front where Maxime Talbot one-timed it home.
The Hurricanes got some life with just 0.9 seconds on the clock as Dwyer scored his first shorthanded goal of the game.
The Flyers, though, got it back 2:45 into the second as Giroux skated from right to left through the neutral zone and from the left circle flicked a shot to the glove side of Ward.
Just over four minutes later on the power play, Philadelphia took a 4-1 lead as Giroux's shot from the left circle hit off of Wayne Simmonds, who was parked in front creating a screen, and got past Ward, prompting a goaltender change.
That seemed to spark Carolina as the team scored the next two goals to get within one.
The first goal came at the 12:01 mark of the second. Jeff Skinner skated into the zone through the middle and dished the puck over to the left. From there, Jussi Jokinen sent a pass back to the right and Tuutu's one-timer hit off the glove of Bobrovsky and went in.
A bad pass from Jagr in the Carolina end was picked off by Dwyer, who was hauled down on the breakaway by Kimmo Timonen and awarded a penalty shot.
Dwyer skated in on net and flicked a shot to the glove side of Bobrovsky to make it a 4-3 game at the 4:36 mark of the third.
However, the Flyers gave themselves some breathing room with under four minutes to play as Jakub Voracek skated down the left side and sent a pass over to the right where a falling Read defelcted it into the net.
It was Dwyer's first penalty shot of his career...Philadelphia hosts Phoenix on Saturday...Carolina plays at Montreal on Wednesday...Philly has won both games against Carolina this season and 11 of 12 overall...The Flyers were 1- for-5 on the power play, but did give up two shorthanded goals...Carolina went 0-for-4 on the power play...Giroux has 11 goals and 11 assists on the season and is tied with Vancouver's Daniel Sedin and Buffalo's Thomas Vanek for second in points in the NHL.
- PHILADELPHIA: 5
Nov 14 9:45 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (5), from Jakub Voracek and Chris Pronger at 16:09.
Flyers 5, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 3:51Nov 14 9:38 PM
- Patrick Dwyer wrist shot is wide.
Flyers 4, Hurricanes 3 3rd - 15:25Nov 14 9:09 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 4
End of 2nd
Nov 14 8:42 PM
- Carolina Goal - Tuomo Ruutu (7), at 12:00.
Flyers 4, Hurricanes 2 2nd - 8:00Nov 14 8:22 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Claude Giroux (12), at 6:57.
Flyers 4, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 13:03Nov 14 8:14 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux (11), at 2:45.
Flyers 3, Hurricanes 1 2nd - 17:15Nov 14 8:05 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
End of 1st
Nov 14 7:44 PM
- Carolina Short-Handed Goal - Patrick Dwyer, from Eric Staal at 19:58.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 1 1st - 0:02Nov 14 7:43 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Maxime Talbot (6), at 8:50.
Flyers 2, Hurricanes 0 1st - 11:10Nov 14 7:23 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Claude Giroux, from Jaromir Jagr at 1:19.
Flyers 1, Hurricanes 0 1st - 18:41Nov 14 7:10 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 14 7:08 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23