Read's late goal lifts Flyers over CoyotesNov 18, 2011 - 4:02 AM
With time winding down in regulation, Jakub Voracek held the puck at the left boards and fired a shot on net that Mike Smith stopped. The rebound, though, when to Maxime Talbot at the right side and he slipped it back over to Read for the easy slam.
"Just being in the right spot at the right time, I guess," said Read.
James van Riemsdyk scored the other goal for the Flyers, who won their third straight and have earned at least a point in eight straight games.
Bryzgalov had spent his previous four seasons with Phoenix and guided the team to the playoffs the last two. On Thursday, though, he led his new team to the win, his eighth of the season.
"It's my former team and not an easy team to beat," said Bryzgalov. "It's a good team. It takes the whole 60 minutes to win the game."
Mikkel Boedker scored the lone goal for the Coyotes, who had a five-game road winning streak stopped. Smith made 40 stops in the loss.
"He gives us the chance to win every night and that's all you can ask from any goaltender," said Phoenix head coach Dave Tippett.
The first period went scoreless with Bryzgalov stopping 16 shots and Smith countering with 12 saves.
At the 12:37 mark of the second, the Flyers took the lead. Van Reimsdyk skated through the neutral zone and down the right wing. From down low, he roofed a shot over Smith for his seventh goal of the year.
Bryzgalov preserved the lead a little over a minute later when he made a nice glove snag on a Ray Whitney breakaway backhander.
The Coyotes, though, tied the game 3:38 into the final frame as Boedker was able to jam in the puck from the right side.
Flyers right wing Jaromir Jagr left the game in the first period with a lower body injury. After the game, Philly general manager Paul Holmgren said he spoke to Jagr and the winger thinks that he should be better in a couple of games...The Flyers play in Winnipeg on Saturday...Phoenix continues its five- game road trip in Buffalo on Saturday...Phoenix had won four of five against Philadelphia coming into the game.
- PHOENIX: 1
Nov 17 9:40 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Matt Read (6), at 19:41.
Coyotes 1, Flyers 2 3rd - 0:19Nov 17 9:38 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Mikkel Boedker (3), at 3:38.
Coyotes 1, Flyers 1 3rd - 16:22Nov 17 9:06 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 17 8:42 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - James van Riemsdyk (7), at 12:37.
Coyotes 0, Flyers 1 2nd - 7:23Nov 17 8:28 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
End of 1st
Nov 17 7:50 PM
- PHOENIX: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 17 7:08 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24