Ponikarovsky, Hurricanes double up FlyersNov 22, 2011 - 4:38 AM
Chad LaRose scored a goal and added two assists while Jeff Skinner also lit the lamp for the Hurricanes, who have won two straight on the heels of a three-game slide. Cam Ward stopped 30 shots in the win.
"I thought our defense was really good, until we got into penalty trouble and it had fallen off a little bit, just fatigue had set in," said Carolina head coach Paul Maurice. "Our overall team defense, while there's still area to improve, it was markedly and decidedly better than it was a week ago."
James van Riemsdyk had a goal and an assist while Matt Read scored a goal for the fifth straight game for the Flyers, who have dropped their past two. Ilya Bryzgalov was tagged for all four goals on 31 shots.
The first goal of the game was a power-play marker from Carolina. Holding the puck along the mid boards at the right side, Jussi Jokinen sent a pass down low to LaRose. From there, LaRose skated out to the side of the net and sent a pass to the front for an easy slam from Ponikarovsky with 6:18 left in the opening frame.
With time winding down in the opening period, Skinner spun around Kimmo Timonen to gain the zone, slid down the right wing and his second whack at the puck went in with 15 seconds left for a 2-0 lead.
Just 1:34 into the second, the Flyers cut into their deficit when van Riemsdyk skated around the left side and used a rebound of his wraparound attempt to get his eighth goal of the year.
Carolina, though, answered just two minutes later. Tomas Kaberle got a pass from Ponikarovsky at the left point and skated to the low left corner. From there, he sent it to the inside left circle where LaRose wristed it in.
Skating on the man advantage, the Flyers made it a 3-2 game when van Riemsdyk skated into the Carolina end down the right side, went behind the net and sent a pass back over to the right where Read snapped it home.
The Hurricanes again responded with a power-play goal to take a 4-2 lead into the third. With Bryzgalov on the ground, Ponikarovsky was able to get his stick on the puck in front of the net and it popped over the goaltender with 1:27 left in the second.
"They played strong. They battled back every time we seemed to get something going," said van Riemsdyk. "I think we took to many penalties. Obviously let some power play goals up there and it comes back to bite you in the end."
Ward turned aside seven shots in the third to keep Philly from getting any closer.
It was the first time since Dec. 19, 2006 that the Hurricanes won a game in regulation in Philadelphia...Read leads all rookies in the NHL with nine tallies...This was the third time these teams met this season with Philly taking a 5-1 home win on October 29 and a 5-3 win in Carolina last Monday.
- CAROLINA: 4
Nov 21 9:37 PM
- CAROLINA: 4
End of 2nd
Nov 21 8:46 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Alexei Ponikarovsky (5), at 18:33.
Hurricanes 4, Flyers 2 2nd - 1:27Nov 21 8:43 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Matt Read (9), at 12:24.
Hurricanes 3, Flyers 2 2nd - 7:36Nov 21 8:32 PM
- Carolina Goal - Chad LaRose (6), at 3:37.
Hurricanes 3, Flyers 1 2nd - 16:23Nov 21 8:14 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - James van Riemsdyk (8), at 1:33.
Hurricanes 2, Flyers 1 2nd - 18:27Nov 21 8:11 PM
- CAROLINA: 2
End of 1st
Nov 21 7:49 PM
- Carolina Goal - Jeff Skinner (9), at 19:44.
Hurricanes 2, Flyers 0 1st - 0:16Nov 21 7:47 PM
- Carolina Power-Play Goal - Alexei Ponikarovsky (4), at 13:42.
Hurricanes 1, Flyers 0 1st - 6:18Nov 21 7:35 PM
- CAROLINA: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 21 7:08 PM
- 'The Goldbergs' creator talks love affair with Flyers May 10
- Canada earns 3rd win at worlds, routs Belarus 8-0 May 9
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers F Schenn suspended for 3 games for charging Apr 26
- Capitals' Orpik could be difference-maker vs. Penguins Apr 26
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Capitals set for rare postseason rematch against Penguins Apr 25
- NHL Playoff Capsules Apr 24
- Capitals close out Flyers in 6 games with 1-0 victory Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 24
- Islanders on brink of ending 23-year playoff drought Apr 23
- Surprise goaltenders make big impacts on playoffs' 1st round Apr 23