Wild stifle Lightning to halt slideNov 29, 2011 - 3:29 AM
Cal Clutterbuck and Mikko Koivu each had a goal and an assist while Pierre- Marc Bouchard scored the other goal for the Wild, who snapped a two-game slide.
Steven Stamkos scored the lone goal for the Lightning, who had won their previous two. Mathieu Garon stopped 21-of-23 shots.
The first 20 minutes passed without a goal, but the Lightning struck 5:53 into the second when Stamkos skated into the Minnestoa end and from the right circle and snapped a hard wrister into the left corner.
However, a pair of turnovers from Tampa allowed Minnesota to take the lead with the first goal coming at the 7:39 mark of the second.
Eric Brewer tried to bring the puck out of his end up the middle, but lost control and it was grabbed by Koivu, who slid over to the right side before sending it back to the slot where Clutterbuck waited for Garon to commit before putting it in.
With under three minutes to play in the second, good work in the Tampa end caused a turnover and Nick Johnson sent a backhand pass from the slot over to the right circle where Bouchard's one-timer sailed home.
Backstrom kept the lead by making 13 saves in the third period and Koivu sealed the win with an empty-netter, the 100th goal of his career.
Tampa plays in Detroit on Wednesday...Minnesota plays at Edmonton on Wednesday...These teams split a pair of games last season, but Monday's contest was the only meeting for this season...Both teams went 0-for-2 on the power play.
- TAMPA BAY: 1
Nov 28 9:57 PM
- Marc-Andre Bergeron slap shot is wide.
Lightning 1, Wild 3 3rd - 0:09Nov 28 9:56 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Nov 28 9:02 PM
- Minnesota Goal - Pierre-Marc Bouchard (3), at 17:06.
Lightning 1, Wild 2 2nd - 2:54Nov 28 8:58 PM
- Marc-Andre Bergeron shot blocked by Kyle Brodziak.
Lightning 1, Wild 1 2nd - 11:48Nov 28 8:42 PM
- Cal Clutterbuck shot on Mathieu Garon.
Lightning 1, Wild 0 2nd - 12:21Nov 28 8:41 PM
- Minnesota Short-Handed Goal - Cal Clutterbuck (7), from Mikko Koivu at 7:39.
Lightning 1, Wild 1 2nd - 12:21Nov 28 8:41 PM
- Vincent Lecavalier slap shot on Niklas Backstrom.
Lightning 1, Wild 0 2nd - 12:41Nov 28 8:40 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
End of 1st
Nov 28 8:10 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 28 7:40 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19