Rangers take down SabresDec 11, 2011 - 3:23 AM
The Rangers avoided their first three-game losing streak since starting the season 0-1-2.
Hagelin and Ryan Callahan had shorthanded goals in the second period while Marian Gaborik scored on a power play late in the third to seal the win.
Callahan's goal snapped a 1-1 tie and Biron kept Buffalo off the board after that, allowing New York to build a cushion.
Biron, who was a Sabres goaltender for nine seasons until 2007, made 12 of his 32 saves in the third period.
"It's a lot of fun to play here," he said.
Thomas Vanek scored for Buffalo, which fell to 1-1-1 on a five-game homestand, and Jhonas Enroth allowed four goals on 33 shots.
Despite the loss, Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff liked the way his team looked against the Rangers.
"I thought we had more energy and skated a lot better," he said. "We made a couple more mistakes, but we didn't spend a lot of time in our own end."
Hagelin opened the scoring on a shorthanded rush, snapping a shot inside the post to beat Enroth glove-side from the left circle at 11:34 of the second period. Vanek tied the game 64 seconds later on hard shot from the slot that trickled through Biron.
But Buffalo didn't score again and Callahan netted the eventual game-winner with 69 seconds left in the middle period, again with the Rangers shorthanded.
He skated down the right side on a 1-on-2, turned his back to Sabres defenseman Christian Ehrhoff, then spun around and beat Enroth under his legs.
Hagelin's goal came 3:02 into the third period on a slap shot from the right side and Gaborik's power-play goal made it 4-1 with 2:34 remaining.
Buffalo center Ville Leino returned from a one-game suspension and posted a minus-1...The Rangers were 1-for-4 on the power play and the Sabres went 0- for-3.
- NEW YORK: 4
Dec 10 9:29 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Marian Gaborik, from John Mitchell at 17:26.
Rangers 4, Sabres 1 3rd - 2:34Dec 10 9:25 PM
- Carl Hagelin backhand shot on Jhonas Enroth.
Rangers 3, Sabres 1 3rd - 16:27Dec 10 8:59 PM
- NEW YORK: 2
End of 2nd
Dec 10 8:36 PM
- Ruslan Fedotenko wrist shot on Jhonas Enroth.
Rangers 2, Sabres 1 2nd - 0:36Dec 10 8:33 PM
- Buffalo Goal - Thomas Vanek (14), from Jason Pominville at 12:38.
Rangers 1, Sabres 1 2nd - 7:22Dec 10 8:18 PM
- NY Rangers Short-Handed Goal - Carl Hagelin (2), from Steve Eminger and Michael Del Zotto at 11:34.
Rangers 1, Sabres 0 2nd - 8:26Dec 10 8:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
End of 1st
Dec 10 7:42 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 10 7:08 PM
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Buffalo Sabres home arena changing names to KeyBank Center May 11
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Buffalo Sabres re-sign forward Johan Larsson to 1-year deal Apr 29
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26
- Penguins goaltender Fleury still dealing with concussion Apr 25
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25