Flyers down Lightning for 5th straight winDec 11, 2011 - 4:07 AM
Scott Hartnell and Wayne Simmonds also had a goal and an assist while Matt Carle notched a goal for the Flyers, who have won a season-high five straight.
Philly forward Claude Giroux, who had two assists in the game and leads the NHL with 39 points, left the game after two periods with an undisclosed injury.
"We don't think it's anything serious and we have off the next few days for him to rest up so he should be fine," said Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren. "It was mostly just a precautionary measure. I just spoke with him and he said he feels much better."
Ilya Bryzgalov started the game in net for the Flyers, but left near the 7:00 mark of the third period with an undisclosed injury after allowing two goals on 16 shots. Sergei Bobrovsky turned aside all three shots he faced the rest of the way.
"It's an old boo-boo, nothing big," said Bryzgalov. "It started to bother me there and to be on the safe side we thought it was best for me to come out."
Vincent Lecavalier and Ryan Shannon both had a goal for the Lightning, who have dropped six of their last seven games. Mathieu Garon allowed four goals on 31 shots.
"I think we made a few mistakes and we panicked a little bit," said Garon. "But we were down one or two goals, it's not the end of the world, we have to stick with that, and hope that we do better at that."
Tampa got the only goal of the first period when Dominic Moore sent a pass from the left boards to the right circle where Shannon's quick wrister found the twine at the 11:52 mark.
The Flyers, though, took the lead with a pair of goals 34 seconds apart in the second.
The first goal went to Briere as Simmonds sent a pass from the left circle to the right and Briere slapped it home for his ninth of the season.
Moments later, Giroux left a drop pass in the slot and Jagr beat Garon to the glove slide with a wrister.
The goal was No. 656 of Jagr's career, tying him with Brendan Shanahan for 11th all-time.
Later in the second on the power play, Simmonds threw a backhand pass from the left side with his back turned and the puck hit off the skate of a Lightning player in front for a 3-1 lead.
Tampa got one back 55 seconds into the third on the power play when Lecavalier's wrister beat Bryzgalov to the short side.
However, Carle got the goal back exactly four minutes later as his wrist shot sailed into the upper part of the net.
Hartnell scored for a fifth straight game with 28 seconds left into an empty net to seal the win.
The Flyers play in Washington on Tuesday...Tampa, which went 1-3-0 on a four- game road trip, hosts New Jersey on Monday...Tampa had won four of five against Philly coming in...The Flyers were 2-for-5 on the power play while Tampa was 1-for-4.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
Dec 10 9:36 PM
- Philadelphia Empty Net Goal - Scott Hartnell (14), at 19:32.
Lightning 2, Flyers 5 3rd - 0:28Dec 10 9:35 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Matt Carle (4), at 4:55.
Lightning 2, Flyers 4 3rd - 15:05Dec 10 9:08 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Vincent Lecavalier (11), at :55.
Lightning 2, Flyers 3 3rd - 19:05Dec 10 9:01 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 2nd
Dec 10 8:40 PM
- Philadelphia Power-Play Goal - Wayne Simmonds (7), at 14:49.
Lightning 1, Flyers 3 2nd - 5:11Dec 10 8:29 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Jaromir Jagr (10), from Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell at 3:12.
Lightning 1, Flyers 2 2nd - 16:48Dec 10 8:08 PM
- Dominic Moore snap shot on Ilya Bryzgalov.
Lightning 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 17:02Dec 10 8:08 PM
- Tom Pyatt shot blocked by Andrej Meszaros.
Lightning 1, Flyers 0 2nd - 17:27Dec 10 8:05 PM
- Philadelphia Goal - Danny Briere (9), at 2:38.
Lightning 1, Flyers 1 2nd - 17:22Dec 10 8:05 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 1
End of 1st
Dec 10 7:45 PM
- Tampa Bay Goal - Ryan Shannon (2), at 11:52.
Lightning 1, Flyers 0 1st - 8:08Dec 10 7:26 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Dec 10 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Confident Lightning feel Penguins haven't see their best May 18
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17