Devils rally in third to down JetsJan 15, 2012 - 1:09 AM
Martin Brodeur stopped 22 shots for the Devils, who have won four of five.
"It was a good win for us. I think we played pretty good all game," Brodeur said. "At the end I think we were a little too much tired and they got a little burst at the end. We got a little luck we battled real hard. A little chaotic, but we got it done."
Andrew Ladd's first-period score wasn't enough for the Jets, who have lost three in a row and five of six. Ondrej Pavelec played well in defeat, making 22 saves.
Foster finally equalized with 10:15 left in regulation, as he stepped into a loose puck created off a Dainius Zubrus right-circle faceoff win and ripped a shot to the near post.
The Devils led 2-1 after Elias redirected an Adam Larsson slap pass from the left side with 7:17 to play.
Elias had a golden chance to extend the lead with 1:36 to go, but Pavelec went for the poke check and the New Jersey captain shot off the right post.
"I think the thing that we need to learn is to keep pressing no matter what the score, and if we're up or down it's got to be the same thing," Ladd admitted. "Like I said I thought we had some great chances there in the third and (Brodeur) made some great saves."
Brodeur came up with three point-blank saves in the final seconds as Winnipeg skated 6-on-5 to preserve the narrow victory.
Ladd beat Brodeur with 89 seconds remaining in the opening period. Pavelec made nine saves and Brodeur six in a scoreless middle stanza.
A scary moment occurred near the midway point as Jets forward Blake Wheeler was hit in the throat by a Petr Sykora shot, left the game and was taken to a nearby hospital for further tests.
The Devils improved to 7-10-0 when trailing after the first period, while the Jets fell to 12-3-0 when leading after one...During the contest, New Jersey announced that forward Travis Zajac was placed on injured reserve, retroactive to January 2, with an undisclosed injury...Winnipeg plays in Ottawa on Monday before heading to Jersey for a rematch on Tuesday.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
Jan 14 5:39 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (16), from Adam Larsson and Petr Sykora at 12:43.
Devils 2, Jets 1 3rd - 7:17Jan 14 5:25 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Kurtis Foster (2), at 9:45.
Devils 1, Jets 1 3rd - 10:15Jan 14 5:18 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 2nd
Jan 14 4:39 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
End of 1st
Jan 14 3:45 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Andrew Ladd (15), at 18:31.
Devils 0, Jets 1 1st - 1:29Jan 14 3:43 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 14 3:15 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Devils sign Boston College's Steven Santini, Miles Wood Apr 8
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8