Kovalchuk, Brodeur lead Devils past JetsJan 18, 2012 - 4:34 AM
Patrik Elias had a goal and two assists for the Devils while Petr Sykora and David Clarkson also scored in their third straight win.
New Jersey beat Winnipeg, 2-1, on Saturday but it wasn't a home-and-home series because the Jets played Montreal on Monday.
Winnipeg's Chris Mason gave up four goals on 15 shots and was pulled for Ondrej Pavelec, who allowed one goal on five shots. The Jets, who were coming off a 2-0 win over Ottawa, lost for the fourth time in five games.
"I didn't like the game," said Winnipeg coach Claude Noel. "And I'm not faulting any one player. I don't think any of us did very well. Coming off a game where we did very well, we didn't play well enough to win."
The Devils jumped out to a 4-0 lead, scoring their first goal on Kovalchuk's breakaway with 61 seconds left in the first period, then getting three more in the first 7:38 of the second.
"We started the second really well and didn't let down after that," said Brodeur, who made 13 saves over the first 40 minutes of the game. "That was key for us."
Sykora's slapshot 92 seconds into the middle period made it 2-0 and goals by Clarkson at 4:48 and Kovalchuk at 7:38 doubled the lead. Clarkson scored from a sharp angle on the right side and Kovalchuk's power-play goal came on a wrister from the slot.
Tobias Enstrom scored Winnipeg's only goal on a rifled slap shot from just inside the blue line in the third period, but Elias restored New Jersey's four-goal lead off a rebound minutes later.
The Jets were 0-for-1 on the power play and went 1-1 on a two-game road trip. They are headed back home for two games against Buffalo and Florida...The Devils started a six-game homestand. They were 1-for-4 on the power play.
- WINNIPEG: 1
NEW JERSEY: 5
Jan 17 9:31 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (17), at 11:31.
Jets 1, Devils 5 3rd - 8:29Jan 17 9:14 PM
- Winnipeg Goal - Tobias Enstrom (3), at 8:18.
Jets 1, Devils 4 3rd - 11:42Jan 17 9:10 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
NEW JERSEY: 4
End of 2nd
Jan 17 8:40 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (19), from David Clarkson and Kurtis Foster at 7:38.
Jets 0, Devils 4 2nd - 12:22Jan 17 8:19 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson (16), from Patrik Elias at 4:48.
Jets 0, Devils 3 2nd - 15:12Jan 17 8:11 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Petr Sykora (11), from Henrik Tallinder and Patrik Elias at 1:32.
Jets 0, Devils 2 2nd - 18:28Jan 17 8:05 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Jan 17 7:44 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Ilya Kovalchuk (18), from Zach Parise at 18:59.
Jets 0, Devils 1 1st - 1:01Jan 17 7:41 PM
- WINNIPEG: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 17 7:11 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11
- Devils' Elias reconsidering future after good final week Apr 10
- Winnipeg Jets rally from 3 goals down to stun LA Kings 4-3 Apr 10
- Henrique scores 2, Devils beat Leafs in season finale Apr 9
- Devils sign Boston College's Steven Santini, Miles Wood Apr 8
- Jets-Kings Preview Apr 8