Malkin lifts Penguins over CanadiensJan 21, 2012 - 5:07 AM
In the second round, Malkin scored on a quick wrister to the left side for the lead. Andrei Kostitsyin broke his stick on his shot and Marc-Andre Fleury made a glove save on Scott Gomez's chance for the win.
Dustin Jeffrey had two goals and an assist while Kris Letang added a goal and an assist for the Penguins, who are riding a five-game winning streak. Fleury, making his career-high 20th straight start, made 25 saves.
"When we go on streaks like this everyone feels great," said Malkin. "There's joking around in the locker room and everyone stays positive, it's nice."
Kostitsyin and Erik Cole each posted a goal and an assist for the Canadiens, who have dropped five of six. Peter Budaj made 34 stops in the loss.
"It's frustrating to blow a lead like that," said Montreal head coach Randy Cunneyworth. "We deserved a better fate like that, but that's what happens sometimes."
Montreal scored just 34 seconds in as the puck went off of Lars Eller's stick and into the open net.
Pittsburgh tied it 3 1/2 minutes later as Letang skated in from the high slot, went around a couple of defenders and tucked in a backhand from the right side as he was about to go around the net.
Montreal, though, took a 2-1 lead less than two minutes later as Cole sent a pass over to Kostitsyin, who fired a shot on net that was stopped but Cole was there to put home the rebound.
The Habs took a 3-1 advantage just 1:09 into the second on the power play on a wrister from Kostitsyin.
Pittsburgh made it a one-goal game while shorthanded as a pass from Zbynek Michalek at the right point hit off the stick of a Montreal player and went right to Jeffrey for the one-timer at the 5:32 mark of the second.
Montreal, though, got it back five minutes later on a rush play as a pass from the right to the left by Cole saw Max Pacioretty bury the wrister.
Jeffrey made it a one-goal game 3:32 into the third when, on a delayed call, he picked up a loose puck in the slot and snapped a wrister home.
Malkin then tied the game with 2:43 to play as he one-timed a James Neal feed at the right circle for his 25th of the season.
Montreal plays in Toronto on Saturday...The Penguins host the Capitals on Sunday...The Penguins have won all three matchups against the Canadiens this season...Pittsburgh went 0-for-4 on the power play while Montreal was 1- for-6...Ten of Malkin's goals this season have come in the third period.
- MONTREAL: 4
Final - 2OT
Jan 20 9:52 PM
- MONTREAL: 4
End of OT
Jan 20 9:47 PM
- MONTREAL: 4
End of Regulation
Jan 20 9:38 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Evgeni Malkin (25), from James Neal at 17:17.
Canadiens 4, Penguins 4 3rd - 2:43Jan 20 9:33 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Dustin Jeffrey (2), at 3:32.
Canadiens 4, Penguins 3 3rd - 16:28Jan 20 9:07 PM
- MONTREAL: 4
End of 2nd
Jan 20 8:45 PM
- Montreal Goal - Max Pacioretty (16), at 10:34.
Canadiens 4, Penguins 2 2nd - 9:26Jan 20 8:28 PM
- Pittsburgh Short-Handed Goal - Dustin Jeffrey, at 5:32.
Canadiens 3, Penguins 2 2nd - 14:28Jan 20 8:18 PM
- Montreal Power-Play Goal - Andrei Kostitsyn (11), at 1:09.
Canadiens 3, Penguins 1 2nd - 18:51Jan 20 8:10 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
End of 1st
Jan 20 7:51 PM
- Craig Adams shot blocked by Alexei Emelin.
Canadiens 2, Penguins 1 1st - 14:03Jan 20 7:22 PM
- Pittsburgh Goal - Kris Letang (4), at 4:02.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 1 1st - 15:58Jan 20 7:18 PM
- Montreal Goal - Lars Eller (9), at :34.
Canadiens 1, Penguins 0 1st - 19:26Jan 20 7:10 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 20 7:08 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Penguins goalie Marc-Andre Fleury to start Game 5 May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17