Stamkos lifts Lightning over Capitals in OTFeb 1, 2012 - 5:36 AM
In the extra session, Stamkos brought the puck into the Washington end through the middle and dished it over to the right for Martin St. Louis, who cut to the front and stuffed the puck on net.
Tomas Vokoun made the stop, but the rebound sat there and Stamkos was able to stuff it home for his NHL-leading 33rd goal of the season.
"Marty was there with a lot of speed and beat his guy to the net," said Stamkos. "He got it on net and I got a generous rebound and put it in."
Stamkos and St. Louis both had a goal and an assist while Mathieu Garon made 26 stops for the Lightning, who have won five straight.
Troy Brouwer, Matt Hendricks and Mathieu Perreault all scored for the Capitals, who have dropped three of four. Vokoun finished the game with 27 saves.
"We created chances very well tonight," said Hendricks. "We were able to come back from a couple of goals and those are the positives we can take out of this game."
Hendricks scored with 3:05 to play in the first, but Teddy Purcell notched his 13th of the year with 1:10 to play in the frame to send it to the break tied.
St. Louis gave the Lightning the lead just 65 seconds into the second on a backhander for his 13th of the season and Nate Thompson scored with 9:01 to play in the second to give Tampa a 3-1 lead.
Perreault, though, scored when his backhand centering attempt from behind the net hit off the stick of Thompson and snuck into the net with 6:53 to play.
The Caps then tied the game less than six minutes into the third as Brouwer picked up a loose puck off a good forecheck and slapped it home from the inside right circle.
Tampa hosts Winnipeg on Thursday...Washington plays in Florida on Wednesday...The Capitals have lost three straight on the road...Washington had won the previous four games against Tampa, including both contests this season.
- WASHINGTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 4
Final - OT
Jan 31 10:07 PM
- 2:15 remaining in the overtime.
Capitals 3, Lightning 4 OT - 2:15Jan 31 10:04 PM
- WASHINGTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 3
3rd Period - 12:57
Capitals 3, Lightning 3 3rd - 12:57Jan 31 9:38 PM
- Washington Goal - Matt Hendricks (2), from Brooks Laich at 16:55.
Capitals 1, Lightning 0 1st - 3:05Jan 31 8:41 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
1st Period - 10:56
Jan 31 8:09 PM
- Penguins starting G Fleury in Game 5 May 23
- Penguins remove G Murray after second period May 23
- Johnson's OT deflection lifts Lightning over Penguins 4-3 May 23
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Lightning-Penguins Preview May 21
- Murray or Fleury? Penguins weighing options in goal May 21
- Friday's Sports In Brief May 21
- Lightning beat Penguins 4-3, even Eastern Conference finals May 21
- Penguins find higher gear against Lightning in East finals May 20
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 19
- Crosby, Kessel help Penguins beat Lightning 4-2 in Game 3 May 19
- Penguins-Lightning Preview May 17