Parise scores twice as Devils down CanadiensFeb 3, 2012 - 4:29 AM
David Clarkson had two goals and an assist while Dainius Zubrus added a goal and two assists for the Devils, who have won their past two games. Martin Brodeur made 27 saves in the win.
"We started off slow and it was tough to come back from," said Clarkson. "But I think these guys showed what we're made of tonight. This was a good win."
Andrei Kostitsyin, David Desharnais and Mathieu Darche all had goals for the Canadiens, who have dropped their past two. Carey Price gave up four goals on 21 shots in the loss.
"It's tough to blame the bounces, it was more that we didn't stick together for 60 minutes tonight," said Darche. "It's never over till it's over, but we've dug ourselves a big hole and losing these two games didn't help."
Trailing by a goal entering the third, the Devils tied the game 6:11 in as Alex Ponikarovsky blasted a shot on net from the right circle that Zubrus tipped in.
New Jersey then took the lead late in the game. Andy Greene was able to poke a clear back into the zone before the puck crossed the blue line and it went to Patrik Elias, who fired a pass to the slot where Ilya Kovalchuk took over. Kovalchuk wound up for a shot and it was blocked, but it took a trip over to the right side where Parise shot it in.
Clarkson scored with the net empty in the final minute of play for his 19th of the season.
Montreal scored two goals in the first 10 minutes to take a 2-0 lead.
The first goal came 4:11 in when Rene Bourque threw his own rebound on net from a sharp angle at the left side that hit off of Desharnais and went in.
At the 9:23 mark, Yannick Weber sent a shot from the right point that Brodeur stopped, but Kostitsyn was all alone in front to spin in the rebound past the outstretched right leg of Brodeur.
New Jersey then used its timeout and it appeared to work as Parise scored on a wrister from the top of the left circle on the fly just 1:13 later.
Just 1:35 in while shorthanded, Montreal made it a 3-1 game as Tomas Plekanec came in on a breakaway that Brodeur made a nice right pad save on, but Darche followed up and jammed the puck in.
The Devils, though, did score on their next power play as a bouncing shot from Kovalchuk at the left point saw the puck hit off of Clarkson and slip past Price with 6:17 to play in the second.
New Jersey plays in Philly on Saturday...Montreal hosts Washington on Saturday...New Jersey has taken two of three from Montreal this season...New Jersey went 1-for-4 on the power play while Montreal was 0-for-3.
- MONTREAL: 3
NEW JERSEY: 5
Feb 2 9:45 PM
- New Jersey Goal - David Clarkson (19), at 19:28.
Canadiens 3, Devils 5 3rd - 0:32Feb 2 9:37 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Zach Parise (18), from Ilya Kovalchuk at 17:16.
Canadiens 3, Devils 4 3rd - 2:44Feb 2 9:33 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Dainius Zubrus (13), from Alexei Ponikarovsky and David Clarkson at 6:11.
Canadiens 3, Devils 3 3rd - 13:49Feb 2 9:08 PM
- MONTREAL: 3
NEW JERSEY: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 2 8:43 PM
- New Jersey Power-Play Goal - Patrik Elias (19), from David Clarkson and Ilya Kovalchuk at 13:43.
Canadiens 3, Devils 2 2nd - 6:17Feb 2 8:30 PM
- Montreal Short-Handed Goal - Mathieu Darche (3), from Tomas Plekanec at 1:35.
Canadiens 3, Devils 1 2nd - 18:25Feb 2 8:10 PM
- MONTREAL: 2
NEW JERSEY: 1
End of 1st
Feb 2 7:45 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Zach Parise (17), at 10:36.
Canadiens 2, Devils 1 1st - 9:24Feb 2 7:27 PM
- Montreal Goal - Andrei Kostitsyn (12), at 9:23.
Canadiens 2, Devils 0 1st - 10:37Feb 2 7:24 PM
- Montreal Goal - Rene Bourque, at 4:11.
Canadiens 1, Devils 0 1st - 15:49Feb 2 7:14 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
NEW JERSEY: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 2 7:08 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Devils make progress under Hynes, still miss playoffs Apr 11