Cole leads Canadiens past CanucksMar 11, 2012 - 7:19 AM
Blake Geoffrion and P.K. Subban scored while Max Pacioretty added two assists and Carey Price made 32 saves for the Canadiens, who have won three of their last five contests.
Ryan Kesler netted the lone goal for the Canucks, who have dropped three of their last four games. Roberto Luongo was touched for all four goals on 35 shots in defeat.
The Canucks remain two points back of St. Louis, who topped Columbus, 4-1, earlier on Saturday, for the top spot in the overall NHL standings.
After a scoreless first stanza, the Canucks opened the scoring at 11:58 of the second frame when Booth raced through the neutral zone and dished to Kesler trailing the play. Kesler took a quick look and fired a wrister past Price from the right circle for the 1-0 edge.
Montreal, though, responded with four unanswered goals to run away with the win.
The Canadiens tied the game at 18:43 of the second period after Louis LeBlanc tracked down the puck on the right wing wall following a dump-in. LeBlanc kicked the puck ahead out of his skates and sent it in front to Geoffrion, who tapped it through the five-hole of Luongo.
Cole put the Canadiens on top for good just 13 seconds into the third period after he took a pass from Pacioretty and gained the blue line on the right wing. Cole flipped a wrist shot on net that was stopped by Luongo, but he tracked down his own rebound and lifted a backhander over the shoulder of the Canucks netminder.
Montreal made it 3-1 at 5:20 of the third frame with a 5-on-3 power-play goal. Subban took a pass at the left point from Andrei Markov and blasted a slap shot through traffic and past Luongo.
Cole notched his second goal of the game at 11:02 of the third after he poked the puck out to center ice and went in on a 2-on-1 with Tomas Plekanec. Cole glided to the right circle and fired a low hard wrist shot that was initially stopped by Luongo, but Cole kept after it and poked the rebound home to cap the scoring.
Vancouver dropped to 32-4-2 when Kesler records at least a point and 16-2-2 when he scores a goal this season...Markov played in his first game in over a year. Markov has not played since November 13, 2011 due to various knee surgeries...With his goal, Geoffrion became the fourth generation of his family to score for the Montreal Canadiens...Montreal and Vancouver split a sports double-header between the cities on Saturday as the MLS's Vancouver Whitecaps posted a 2-0 win over the Montreal Impact at BC Place earlier in the day...The Canadiens went 1-for-3 with the man advantage, while the Canucks failed to score with two power-play chances.
- MONTREAL: 4
Mar 11 1:37 AM
- Alexandre Burrows wrist shot on Carey Price.
Canadiens 4, Canucks 1 3rd - 8:44Mar 11 1:17 AM
- MONTREAL: 3
3rd Period - 8:58
Canadiens 3, Canucks 1 3rd - 8:58Mar 11 1:16 AM
- Montreal Goal - Erik Cole (25), at 11:02.
Canadiens 4, Canucks 1 3rd - 8:58Mar 11 1:16 AM
- Lars Eller wrist shot on Roberto Luongo.
Canadiens 3, Canucks 1 3rd - 14:16Mar 11 1:07 AM
- Montreal Goal - Erik Cole (24), from Max Pacioretty at :13.
Canadiens 2, Canucks 1 3rd - 19:47Mar 11 12:57 AM
- MONTREAL: 1
End of 2nd
Mar 11 12:38 AM
- Max Pacioretty snap shot on Roberto Luongo.
Canadiens 1, Canucks 1 2nd - 1:08Mar 11 12:36 AM
- Vancouver Goal - Ryan Kesler (21), at 11:58.
Canadiens 0, Canucks 1 2nd - 8:02Mar 11 12:24 AM
- MONTREAL: 0
End of 1st
Mar 10 11:45 PM
- MONTREAL: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 10 11:11 PM
- US quarterfinal spot in doubt at worlds after Germany defeat May 15
- Canadiens sign forward Artturi Lehkonen to 3-year contract May 8
- Canucks sign goalie Thatcher Demko to entry-level contract Apr 20
- Former Canadiens coach Jacques Demers improving after stroke Apr 15
- Fighting the bear: John Scott demonstrates a hockey fight Apr 14
- Canucks sign North Dakota defenseman Troy Stecher Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Capitals are not running from Stanley Cup expectations Apr 12
- Etem scores shootout winner as Canucks beat Oilers 4-3 Apr 10
- Galchenyuk, Pacioretty score twice; Canadiens beat Lightning Apr 10
- Oilers-Canucks Preview Apr 8
- Jacques Demers in stable condition 2 days after stroke Apr 8