Boston cruises past TorontoMar 20, 2012 - 3:47 AM
Tim Thomas only needed to make 13 saves for his fifth shutout of the season for the Bruins, who went 6-0 against Toronto this season. Boston became the first of these teams to sweep the other in a season series since the Maple Leafs joined the Eastern Conference in 1998-99.
Brian Rolston had a goal and three assists for Boston, which has won two straight since a four-game skid. Chris Kelly, Gregory Campbell, Brad Marchand, Zdeno Chara and Tyler Seguin also lit the lamp.
The Bruins now have 87 points and sit three points ahead of idle Ottawa for first place in the Northeast Division.
"I don't think we expected the game to go that way...what we tried to do was just stay focused for 60 minutes," Bruins head coach Claude Julien said.
James Reimer started in net for Toronto and gave up four goals on nine shots in the first period. Jonas Gustavsson came on in relief and turned aside 11- of-15 shots.
The Maple Leafs went 2-3-0 on a five-game road trip.
"It was a tough spill to swallow," said Toronto defenseman Mike Komisarek. "It was embarrassing out there tonight. We didn't do anything right out there."
Boston's offense got going 2:25 into the game. After Toronto turned the puck over in its own zone, Pouliot gathered the puck at the top of the left circle. He slid a pass to the front of the net for Kelly, who beat Reimer with a backhander.
Campbell added a wrap-around goal at the 5:40 mark to make it a 2-0 game.
Pouliot deflected in Johnny Boychuk's blast from the right point with 9:02 remaining for a three-goal cushion.
Less than two minutes later, Marchand lit the lamp on the power play for a 4-0 lead. Seguin controlled the puck at the bottom of the left circle and fed a cross-ice pass across the crease to Marchand, who scored from a tough angle.
Thomas only needed to make two saves in the first period.
Pouliot, Chara and Rolston scored against Gustavsson in the middle stanza to make it a 7-0 contest. The Maple Leafs had just seven shots on net through two periods.
Seguin scored late in the third to complete the scoring.
The Bruins have won three straight and nine of their last 11 home tilts versus Toronto...Julien coached his 400th game behind the Boston bench on Monday, moving him into a tie with Don Cherry for third on the Bruins' all-time games coached list...Boston signed forward Shawn Thornton to a two-year contract Monday...Thomas recorded the 31st shutout of his career.
- TORONTO: 0
Mar 19 9:24 PM
- Boston Goal - Tyler Seguin (26), from David Krejci and Milan Lucic at 18:29.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 8 3rd - 1:31Mar 19 9:21 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 2nd
Mar 19 8:36 PM
- Boston Goal - Brian Rolston (6), at 19:25.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 7 2nd - 0:35Mar 19 8:35 PM
- Boston Goal - Zdeno Chara, at 5:45.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 6 2nd - 14:15Mar 19 8:13 PM
- Boston Goal - Benoit Pouliot (12), at 2:31.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 5 2nd - 17:29Mar 19 8:08 PM
- TORONTO: 0
End of 1st
Mar 19 7:46 PM
- Boston Power-Play Goal - Brad Marchand (24), at 12:42.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 4 1st - 7:18Mar 19 7:32 PM
- Boston Goal - Benoit Pouliot (11), at 10:58.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 3 1st - 9:02Mar 19 7:27 PM
- Boston Goal - Gregory Campbell (8), at 5:40.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 2 1st - 14:20Mar 19 7:16 PM
- Boston Goal - Chris Kelly (18), at 2:25.
Maple Leafs 0, Bruins 1 1st - 17:35Mar 19 7:10 PM
- TORONTO: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:08 PM
- Former Leafs coach John Brophy dies after lengthy illness May 23
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Last-place Leafs win NHL draft lottery; Jets jump to 2nd Apr 30
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Bergeron, Kesler, Kopitar are Selke Trophy finalists Apr 28
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Apr 25
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25
- Hakstol's success opens NHL door to more college coaches Apr 21
- Bruins opt to retain coach Julien for another season Apr 14
- Maple Leafs sign Kadri, Rielly to 6-year deals Apr 13
- Age-old question: Is Panarin too old to be NHL's top rookie? Apr 13
- Tortorella: Don't ask NHL coaches to fix stagnant scoring Apr 12