Rangers clinch playoff spot with win over DevilsMar 20, 2012 - 3:36 AM
The win clinched a playoff berth for the Rangers as the team became just the second in the NHL and first in the Eastern Conference to earn a spot in the postseason. The previous two seasons had seen the Rangers' playoff fate hinge on the final day of the season.
"It's definitely a foreign feeling not coming down to the last day," said Dubinsky. "This was is a lot easier on everyone here."
Dan Girardi and Mats Zuccarello each scored a goal for the Rangers, who had dropped five of their last seven coming in. Henrik Lundqvist posted 20 saves in the win.
This was a much-needed win for the Rangers as they have the Penguins and Flyers hot on their tails.
In a very crowded Atlantic Division, the Rangers now have 97 points and hold a three-point lead over Pittsburgh and five-point lead over Philadelphia. The Rangers lead Boston by 10 points for the top overall spot in the Eastern Conference.
Petr Sykora and Patrik Elias each posted a goal for the Devils, who have lost three of their last four. Martin Brodeur gave up all four goals on 27 shots in the loss.
"It's always tough playing here, especially with both teams needing a win," said New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer. "We worked pretty hard there and we're in it, but just couldn't get that bounce that you need sometimes."
New Jersey sits in the sixth spot in the Eastern Conference with 87 points, three more than idle Ottawa.
New York needed just 71 seconds to take the lead on Dubinsky's eighth of the year. Stepan had the puck down the right wing and tried to pass it, but it rolled off his stick. He was able to reach out, though, and pass it to the slot where Dubinsky shot it low past Brodeur.
The score stayed that way until 33 seconds into the second period when Girardi gathered the puck in the high slot, skated over to the top of the right circle and fired a shot that hit off the right pad of Brodeur and went in.
The Devils made it a one-goal game at the 5:03 mark of the second when Patrik Elias' shot from a sharp angle at the left side hit off the right shoulder of Lundqvist and went in.
New York got the goal back exactly 2 1/2 minutes later, on the power play. Brad Richards fired a shot from the right point that Ryan Callahan got a stick on with Zuccarello finishing the play in front for his second of the year.
However, the Devils again scored to make it a one-goal game when Marek Zidlicky sent a pass from the right boards over to the top of the left circle where Sykora let fly with a wrister for his 17th of the year.
New Jersey was unable to net the equalizer in the third period and the Rangers sealed the win with 1:10 to play shortly after a power play expired when Dubinsky fired a shot on net from the high slot that Stepan redirected out of the air.
New York hosts Detroit on Wednesday...The Devils play in Ottawa on Tuesday...This was the final game of the season between these two teams. Each club won twice, but the Rangers gained seven points due to one shootout loss...New York went 1-for-3 on the power play while New Jersey was 0-for-3.
- NEW JERSEY: 2
NEW YORK: 4
Mar 19 10:11 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brandon Dubinsky, at 18:50.
Devils 2, Rangers 4 3rd - 1:10Mar 19 10:05 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 2
NEW YORK: 3
End of 2nd
Mar 19 9:16 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Petr Sykora (17), at 11:08.
Devils 2, Rangers 3 2nd - 8:52Mar 19 9:02 PM
- NY Rangers Power-Play Goal - Mats Zuccarello (2), at 7:33.
Devils 1, Rangers 3 2nd - 12:27Mar 19 8:55 PM
- New Jersey Goal - Patrik Elias (25), at 5:03.
Devils 1, Rangers 2 2nd - 14:57Mar 19 8:48 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Dan Girardi (5), at :33.
Devils 0, Rangers 2 2nd - 19:27Mar 19 8:41 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 1
End of 1st
Mar 19 8:23 PM
- NY Rangers Goal - Brandon Dubinsky (8), at 1:11.
Devils 0, Rangers 1 1st - 18:49Mar 19 7:48 PM
- NEW JERSEY: 0
NEW YORK: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Mar 19 7:40 PM
- US beats Czechs at worlds to set up semifinal with May 19
- Major League Baseball suspends Rangers' Odor for 8 games and Andrus for 1 game, and Blue Jays' Chavez and Gibbons for 3 each and Bautista, Leiper for 1 apiece for role in brawl May 17
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- New York Rangers sign KHL forward Pavel Bucknevich May 13
- Devils' Patrik Elias, Cory Schneider both undergo surgery May 12
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- Capitals are loose and confident and on brink of elimination May 6
- New York Rangers rookie Oscar Lindberg has hip surgery May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Rangers agree to deal with backup goalie Antti Raanta May 2
- Jagr, Dupuis, Zuccarello are Masterton finalists May 1
- Winds of change coming to Rangers after early playoff exit Apr 26