Pietrangelo, Arnott lead Blues to win over FlamesOct 10, 2011 - 10:10 PM
Andy McDonald recorded two helpers and Jaroslav Halak stopped 15 shots as the Blues recorded their first victory of the season.
"There's obviously a lot of high expectations here," Blues forward Chris Stewart said. "Getting that monkey off the back for the first [win], it's going to be a lot easier going on the road."
St. Louis starts a four-game road trip on Thursday at Dallas after playing its first two games of the season at home.
Curtis Glencross and Jarome Iginla put the puck in the net for Calgary, which fell to 0-2 for the first time since the 2008-09 season.
Henrik Karlsson allowed five goals on 35 shots in the loss.
Calgary struck first when Glencross took a cross-ice pass from Olli Jokinen at the blue line, moved into the slot and fired a shot through the pads of Halak at the 8:03 mark of the first period.
But St. Louis answered late in the period. Matt D'Agostini grabbed an errant pass by the Flames from his own zone and raced down the side boards. He dropped the puck to a trailing Arnott, who fired it on goal from the right circle. The big rebound went right to Alexander Steen and he fired it into the open net.
The Blues broke the tie just 3:39 into the second period. McDonald sent a pass from the corner of the Calgary zone to Jamie Langenbrunner, who wheeled around the left circle. Kevin Shattenkirk took Langenbrunner's cross-ice pass and shot it into the far side of the net for a 2-1 lead.
St. Louis added a little cushion to its lead later in the period when Pietrangelo fired slap shot from the right point that found its way past Karlsson.
Less than two minutes later, Nikita Nikitin was called for tripping and Mark Giordano's shot from the high slot bounced off a Blues defender and right to Iginla, who found space over the right shoulder of Halak to make it a one-goal game again.
But Stewart lifted a backhand past the glove of Karlsson on a breakaway 3:44 into the third period and Arnott wristed a shot past the keeper late in the frame to put the game away.
"This is not who we feel we are. It's certainly disappointing that we came out with an effort like this, but [we've] got to put it behind us," Flames left winger Alex Tanguay said about the loss.
Iginla's goal was the 1,007th point of his career, moving him up to 75th on the league's all-time list...McDonald has recorded 47 points in his last 45 games...Calgary managed just two shots in the third period.
- CALGARY: 2
ST. LOUIS: 5
Oct 10 4:33 PM
- St Louis Goal - Jason Arnott, from Andy McDonald at 14:22.
Flames 2, Blues 5 3rd - 5:38Oct 10 4:22 PM
- St Louis Goal - Chris Stewart, from Alex Pietrangelo at 3:44.
Flames 2, Blues 4 3rd - 16:16Oct 10 4:05 PM
- CALGARY: 2
ST. LOUIS: 3
End of 2nd
Oct 10 3:41 PM
- Calgary Power-Play Goal - Jarome Iginla, from Mark Giordano and Alex Tanguay at 16:55.
Flames 2, Blues 3 2nd - 3:05Oct 10 3:36 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alex Pietrangelo, at 15:30.
Flames 1, Blues 3 2nd - 4:30Oct 10 3:32 PM
- Alexander Steen shot blocked by Cory Sarich.
Flames 1, Blues 2 2nd - 12:54Oct 10 3:15 PM
- Calgary Goal - Lee Stempniak, at 3:39.
Flames 2, Blues 1 2nd - 16:21Oct 10 3:07 PM
- CALGARY: 1
ST. LOUIS: 1
End of 1st
Oct 10 2:45 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alexander Steen, from Jason Arnott at 18:51.
Flames 1, Blues 1 1st - 1:09Oct 10 2:43 PM
- Jason Arnott snap shot on Henrik Karlsson.
Flames 1, Blues 0 1st - 10:57Oct 10 2:24 PM
- St Louis Goal - Alexander Steen, at 8:03.
Flames 0, Blues 1 1st - 11:57Oct 10 2:22 PM
- CALGARY: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Oct 10 2:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Sharks power play helps drive postseason success May 19
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18