Coyotes cool off OilersNov 6, 2011 - 8:06 AM
Daymond Langkow and Adrian Aucoin also lit the lamp, while Radim Vrbata had a pair of assists. Mike Smith made 24 stops in net.
Theo Peckham and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins scored for the Oilers, who hadn't lost since October 20 against the Wild. Devan Dubnyk made 26 saves.
"They outskated us the first couple of periods," Oilers defenseman Tom Gilbert said. "We just weren't ready, and you can't have that in this league."
Langkow scored on a backhand from the right circle 4:44 into the second period, and it became 2-0 with 2:02 remaining in the stanza. Ladislav Smid was called off for interference, and the Coyotes capitalized on the power play when Aucoin blasted a slap shot from the slot past a screened Dubnyk.
"I don't know if I'll get too many this year, but I've been waiting for awhile," Aucoin said of his first tally of the season.
Nugent-Hopkins netted his sixth goal of the season at 9:27 of the third. He carried the puck into the offensive zone and then deposited the loose disc by Smith.
Gordon scored less than two minutes later on a backhand in front, but the Oilers got within one again just 2:11 later. Peckham redirected the puck into the net at the 13:47 mark.
Whitney, though, sealed the victory with an empty-net tally with 10.1 seconds remaining.
Phoenix has won eight of the last 10 games against Edmonton...Dave Tippett reached his 100th win as the Phoenix head coach.
- EDMONTON: 2
Nov 5 11:27 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Ray Whitney (6), at 19:49.
Oilers 2, Coyotes 4 3rd - 0:11Nov 5 11:26 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Theo Peckham, from Colten Teubert at 13:47.
Oilers 2, Coyotes 3 3rd - 6:13Nov 5 11:12 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Boyd Gordon (2), at 11:35.
Oilers 1, Coyotes 3 3rd - 8:25Nov 5 11:09 PM
- Edmonton Goal - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (6), at 9:27.
Oilers 1, Coyotes 2 3rd - 10:33Nov 5 11:05 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 2nd
Nov 5 10:35 PM
- Phoenix Power-Play Goal - Adrian Aucoin, at 17:57.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 2 2nd - 2:03Nov 5 10:32 PM
- Phoenix Goal - Daymond Langkow (3), at 4:44.
Oilers 0, Coyotes 1 2nd - 15:16Nov 5 10:09 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
End of 1st
Nov 5 9:44 PM
- EDMONTON: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 5 9:10 PM
- Coyotes, Tucson make it official: Moving AHL team to city May 19
- Tucson city council approves deal for Coyotes AHL affiliate May 17
- Cup final awaits either playoff-starved Blues or Sharks May 14
- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL May 13
- Blackhawks agree to 3-year deal with D Gustav Forsling May 11
- AHL board approves sale, relocation of Coyotes' affililate May 10
- NHL, Oilers, Flames each donating $100,000 to Fort McMurray May 5
- Arizona's Chayka becomes youngest GM in NHL history May 5
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- AP Source: Coyotes to promote 26-year-old Chayka to GM May 4
- McDavid among finalists for Calder Trophy as NHL top rookie May 2
- Flyers finish another empty season without Stanley Cup Apr 25