Vlasic's 4 points lead Sharks over Red WingsNov 18, 2011 - 7:47 AM
"It was a real nice thing from Vlasic," Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said. "He jumped into the play and was making things happen, so it was a great night for him."
Joe Thornton and Brad Winchester had a goal and an assist apiece, while Joe Pavelski and Torrey Mitchell also scored for the Sharks, winners in nine of their last 12 games.
Antti Niemi made 40 saves in the victory.
Niklas Kronwall and Danny Cleary scored for Detroit, which has dropped back- to-back games after winning four straight.
Jimmy Howard allowed four goals on 21 shots to take the loss and Ty Conklin stopped 6-of-7 shots in relief.
"We need to stick together and stay positive," Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg said.
The Red Wings grabbed the lead at 17:23 of the opening period when Kronwall slapped a shot from the point through traffic and past Niemi on a power play.
But the Sharks responded on a shorthanded tally with just 12 seconds remaining in the period.
The Red Wings dumped the puck down into the right corner and looked to get set up, but Thornton beat Kronwall to the puck, took it around behind the net and found Pavelski, who one-timed it home from the slot to tie it at 1-1.
In the second period, it was all San Jose, as the Sharks netted three goals to take a 4-1 lead.
The first goal came at 9:54 when Vlasic picked up the puck in the defensive zone and raced up ice on a 3-on-1. He dished to the left for Logan Couture, who then fed one to the right circle for Thornton and the Sharks captain fired it into the net.
San Jose's next tally came at 12:48 when Vlasic picked up a loose puck to the left of the net, brought it around behind and stuffed it past Howard.
The Sharks capped the dominant period when Mitchell pounced on a rebound in front of the net and chipped it home at 18:18.
In the third period, Winchester made it 5-1 at the 9:32 mark when he picked up a pass from Andrew Murray on the right wing, swooped in on goal and fired it past Conklin low to the far side.
Detroit got one back on the power play at 13:38 when Valtteri Filppula fired a shot from the point that was stopped by Niemi, but Cleary was parked in front for the rebound.
It was just the Sharks' second shorthanded goal of the season...Red Wings center Pavel Datsyuk has gone 12 consecutive games without a goal...San Jose won the previous meeting between the teams, 4-2, on October 28...It was Winchester's first goal as a Shark...The Sharks went 0-for-1 on the power play, while Detroit cashed in on two of its three man-advantage chances...San Jose will head to Dallas to face the Stars on Saturday, while Detroit will travel to Los Angeles to battle the Kings, also on Saturday.
- DETROIT: 2
SAN JOSE: 5
Nov 18 12:55 AM
- Valtteri Filppula wrist shot on Antti Niemi.
Red Wings 2, Sharks 5 3rd - 6:23Nov 18 12:45 AM
- San Jose Goal - Brad Winchester, from Andrew Murray at 9:32.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 5 3rd - 10:28Nov 18 12:37 AM
- DETROIT: 1
SAN JOSE: 4
End of 2nd
Nov 18 12:04 AM
- Jamie McGinn wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 4 2nd - 1:44Nov 18 12:02 AM
- Andrew Desjardins wrist shot on Jimmy Howard.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 3 2nd - 7:14Nov 17 11:47 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Thornton (5), from Logan Couture and Marc-Edouard Vlasic at 9:54.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 2 2nd - 10:06Nov 17 11:44 PM
- DETROIT: 1
SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Nov 17 11:11 PM
- San Jose Short-Handed Goal - Joe Pavelski (10), from Joe Thornton at 19:48.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 1 1st - 0:12Nov 17 11:11 PM
- Detroit Power-Play Goal - Niklas Kronwall (5), at 17:23.
Red Wings 1, Sharks 0 1st - 2:37Nov 17 11:07 PM
- DETROIT: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 17 10:38 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19