Sharks defeat struggling StarsNov 20, 2011 - 6:47 AM
The Stars have lost five games in a row by a combined score of 21-4, but at least they weren't shut out. Mike Ribeiro scored 6:22 into the third period for Dallas' first goal in three games.
"Niemi played well again, especially early in the game when we were still trying to find our way," said San Jose head coach Todd McLellan. "They were coming hard and had a good forecheck. But he gave us the chance."
Brad Winchester and Jamie McGinn also scored for the Sharks, who have won four of their last five.
The game between Pacific Division rivals included three fights and 100 combined penalty minutes. The Sharks and Stars will next meet December 8 in San Jose.
Andrew Raycroft gave up four goals on 38 shots for Dallas, which started a four-game road trip.
"I think you can see the frustration, especially in the second half of the game," said Raycroft. "Our emotions are high and we got rattled."
Joe Thornton set up Burns' goal 4:58 into the game with a pass across the crease for a tap in and 1-0 Sharks lead. Thornton also got an assist 83 seconds into the middle period, freeing the puck in the corner before Couture roofed a shot into the top of the net.
Winchester scored the first regular strength goal of the game at 4:52 of the second on a snap shot from the right circle, while McGinn made it 4-0 on a feed into the slot from Michal Handzus at 4:34 of the third period.
Ribeiro's goal -- a wrist shot from above the left circle on a rush -- was Dallas' first since 12:11 of the second period of a 5-2 loss at Detroit last Saturday.
The scoreless drought was 194 minutes and 11 seconds long.
The Sharks were coming off a 4-1-1 homestand. They went 2-for-4 on the power play, while Dallas was 0-for-3...Stars forward Krystofer Barch was involved in two of the game's three fights and had 12 penalty minutes. San Jose forward Ryane Clowe, who fought Barch in the third period, drew 15 penalty minutes in the game.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Nov 19 10:45 PM
- Dallas Goal - Mike Ribeiro (2), from Loui Eriksson at 6:22.
Sharks 4, Stars 1 3rd - 13:38Nov 19 10:10 PM
- San Jose Goal - Jamie McGinn (2), at 4:34.
Sharks 4, Stars 0 3rd - 15:26Nov 19 10:08 PM
- San Jose Goal - Brad Winchester (2), at 4:52.
Sharks 3, Stars 0 2nd - 15:08Nov 19 9:36 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Logan Couture (7), at 1:23.
Sharks 2, Stars 0 2nd - 18:37Nov 19 9:04 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Nov 19 8:45 PM
- San Jose Goal - Brent Burns, at 4:58.
Sharks 1, Stars 0 1st - 15:02Nov 19 8:16 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 19 8:09 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18