Sharks down Avalanche behind Marleau's hat trickNov 21, 2011 - 5:32 AM
Marc-Edouard Vlasic set up each one of Marleau's goals and Joe Thornton collected two helpers for San Jose, which has gone 11-2-1 since a 1-3-0 start to the season.
Jean-Sebastien Giguere made his third consecutive start between the pipes for the Avalanche and yielded three goals on 17 shots.
Colorado, which kicked off an eight-game homestand with a 3-0 victory over Dallas on Friday, fell to 2-7-1 in November.
The Avalanche got off to a strong start Sunday, as Matt Duchene opened the scoring 7:25 into the contest. The third-year Colorado forward dished to the left point for Ryan Wilson, settled down the defenseman's return feed and fired a shot from the right circle past Greiss.
Marleau drew San Jose even at the 12:16 mark of the first period, one second after a tripping penalty to Colorado defenseman Kyle Quincey had expired. He struck again at 7:35 of the middle stanza when he cruised through the low slot and tipped Vlasic's point shot.
Thornton fed Joe Pavelski from behind the net to make it 3-1 with 3:13 remaining in the second. It was Pavelski's team-leading 11th goal of the season.
"We didn't get the puck out at times at the blue line," Duchene said. "They made us pay. They are a very skilled team and if you make a mistake, it will likely end up in the back of your own net."
Marleau added an empty-netter -- while on a power play -- in the final minute of regulation.
"I got an assist on all three of his goals, but the last one I was just trying to protect it, get it out, and pushed it off the boards and Patty made a great play to spin it around and shoot it into the net," Vlasic said.
Vlasic's second assist was the 100th of his career...Colorado defenseman Shane O'Brien played in his 400th career game...The Sharks finished 1-for-6 on the power play, while the Avalanche were 0-for-1...Colorado hasn't won back-to- back games since a five-game winning streak on the road from October 10-17.
- SAN JOSE: 4
Nov 20 10:25 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Empty Net Goal - Patrick Marleau (9), from Marc-Edouard Vlasic at 19:17.
Sharks 4, Avalanche 1 3rd - 0:43Nov 20 10:23 PM
- SAN JOSE: 3
End of 2nd
Nov 20 9:33 PM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (11), at 16:47.
Sharks 3, Avalanche 1 2nd - 3:13Nov 20 9:28 PM
- San Jose Goal - Patrick Marleau (8), from Marc-Edouard Vlasic at 7:35.
Sharks 2, Avalanche 1 2nd - 12:25Nov 20 9:11 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Nov 20 8:41 PM
- San Jose Goal - Patrick Marleau (7), at 12:16.
Sharks 1, Avalanche 1 1st - 7:44Nov 20 8:29 PM
- Colorado Goal - Matt Duchene, at 7:25.
Sharks 0, Avalanche 1 1st - 12:35Nov 20 8:19 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Nov 20 8:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18