Hodgson's late goal lifts Vancouver over San JoseJan 22, 2012 - 1:40 AM
Ryan Kesler and David Booth also scored for the Canucks, who snapped a two- game slide. The Northwest Division leaders haven't lost three straight since April 19-24 during last season's Western Conference quarterfinal series against Chicago.
Saturday's triumph was a record-breaking one for Vancouver goaltender Roberto Luongo, who surpassed Kirk McLean (211) for the most wins in franchise history.
"It was a great win for us," Hodgson said. "We haven't been playing the way we wanted to the last couple of games."
Logan Couture lit the lamp twice for San Jose, which has dropped three of four.
Kesler scored a tie-breaking goal for the Canucks at the 14:11 mark of the third period. Kesler sped down the left wing and shielded the puck from a pursuing San Jose player before firing a shot underneath the crossbar.
Dan Boyle responded 36 seconds later for San Jose. Joe Pavelski made a backhand pass from behind the net and Boyle converted his own rebound, tying the game at three.
Vancouver regained the lead 56 seconds later when Hodgson's intended pass to the net caromed in off San Jose's Michal Handzus at 15:43.
"It's always hard to give one up at the end, especially when you battle back," Pavelski said.
Booth opened the scoring 66 seconds into the contest, but Couture struck twice to put the Sharks in front. He scored on a short-handed breakaway late in the first period, then beat Luongo for a power-play tally at 1:05 of the second.
San Jose netminder Antti Niemi was beaten by Hodgson on a rebound a little over three minutes later.
Luongo made 23 saves, while Niemi stopped 26 shots...Vancouver's Mason Raymond, Pavelski and Sharks forward Andrew Desjardins each had two assists...The Canucks improved to 25-6-1 when scoring the game's first goal this season...San Jose lost three of four to Vancouver in the season series. The three previous meetings resulted in 3-2 scores.
- SAN JOSE: 3
Jan 21 6:31 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Cody Hodgson, from Mason Raymond at 15:43.
Sharks 3, Canucks 4 3rd - 4:17Jan 21 6:19 PM
- San Jose Goal - Dan Boyle (4), from Joe Pavelski and Andrew Desjardins at 14:47.
Sharks 3, Canucks 3 3rd - 5:13Jan 21 6:17 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Ryan Kesler, from Chris Higgins at 14:11.
Sharks 2, Canucks 3 3rd - 5:49Jan 21 6:16 PM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 21 5:37 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Cody Hodgson (12), from Mason Raymond at 4:29.
Sharks 2, Canucks 2 2nd - 15:31Jan 21 5:08 PM
- San Jose Power-Play Goal - Logan Couture (20), from Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski at 1:05.
Sharks 2, Canucks 1 2nd - 18:55Jan 21 5:03 PM
- SAN JOSE: 1
End of 1st
Jan 21 4:44 PM
- San Jose Short-Handed Goal - Logan Couture (19), at 15:54.
Sharks 1, Canucks 1 1st - 4:06Jan 21 4:36 PM
- Vancouver Goal - Alexander Edler (8), from Ryan Kesler at 1:06.
Sharks 0, Canucks 1 1st - 18:54Jan 21 4:10 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 21 4:08 PM
- Hitchcock hedges on lineup for Game 5 vs. Sharks May 23
- Sharks-Blues Preview May 23
- Blues sticking with Allen in Game 5 against Sharks May 22
- Blues beat Sharks 6-3 to even series at 2 games apiece May 21
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- Blues to make goalie change for Game 4 against Sharks May 20
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 20
- BC-AP Sports Preview Digest May 20
- Jones' 2nd shutout gives Sharks 2-1 series lead over Blues May 20
- Hot Tip: Backes excels at deflections for Blues May 19
- Blues-Sharks Preview May 18