Doughty scores in final second as Kings down JacketsFeb 2, 2012 - 6:43 AM
After Blue Jackets' center Samuel Pahlsson was whistled for holding with 1:06 to play, the Kings went to work with the man-advantage, bombarding Jackets goalie Curtis Sanford with shots.
Kings' defenseman Jack Johnson ripped a slap shot from the right point that was kicked out by Sanford, but Doughty pounced on the rebound and ripped it past Sanford from the slot just before the clock hit zero.
"It was a great job on our power play," Doughty said. "I've never scored many goals to win it. "It's a good feeling. It's good to get this win right after the break and before our long road trip."
Doughty also added an assist, while Justin Williams and Dustin Penner scored for the Kings, who got 20 saves from Jonathan Quick en route to their second straight win.
Derek Dorsett and Colton Gillies scored and Sanford made 30 saves in defeat for the Blue Jackets, who have now lost six consecutive games.
Los Angeles opened the scoring with a power-play tally at 8:40 of the first period after Williams took a nice feed from Doughty and snapped a wrist shot high over the left shoulder of Sanford from the left circle.
Columbus drew even just 1:09 into the second period when Vinny Prospal threw one in front right on the tape of Derick Brassard, who backhanded a weak shot on net that was stopped by Quick, but Dorsett stuffed home the rebound.
The Kings took a 2-1 edge at 14:32 of the second period off a sloppy turnover by Columbus at the defensive blue line.
R.J. Umberger held the puck in his own zone and looked to head up the ice on the rush, but was pickpocketed by Penner at the blue line. Penner moved in with speed and snapped one past Sanford to the short side.
The Jackets tied it at two at 4:52 of the third period when John Moore ripped a shot from the right point that was kicked to the right corner by Quick. Antoine Vermette chased down the puck and found Gillies, who ripped it home from in front.
"This is hugely disappointing, we thought we were going into overtime with at least one point," Sanford said. "They controlled the puck at the end, got it on the guy's stick and he made the shot. This one is tough, it's happening too many times this season."
Los Angeles leads the season series between the teams, 2-1...Columbus failed to convert on three power play chances, while the Kings were an efficient 2- for-3 with the man advantage...Doughty has 15 points in his last 19 games.
- COLUMBUS: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Feb 2 1:00 AM
- COLUMBUS: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
End of Regulation
Feb 2 12:57 AM
- Columbus Goal - Colton Gillies, from Antoine Vermette at 4:52.
Blue Jackets 2, Kings 2 3rd - 15:08Feb 2 12:30 AM
- COLUMBUS: 1
LOS ANGELES: 2
End of 2nd
Feb 2 12:06 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Dustin Penner (4), at 14:32.
Blue Jackets 1, Kings 2 2nd - 5:28Feb 1 11:57 PM
- Slava Voynov shot blocked by Vinny Prospal.
Blue Jackets 1, Kings 1 2nd - 18:14Feb 1 11:36 PM
- Vinny Prospal backhand shot on Jonathan Quick.
Blue Jackets 0, Kings 1 2nd - 18:52Feb 1 11:34 PM
- Columbus Goal - Vinny Prospal (10), at 1:09.
Blue Jackets 1, Kings 1 2nd - 18:51Feb 1 11:34 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 1
End of 1st
Feb 1 11:16 PM
- Los Angeles Power-Play Goal - Justin Williams (10), from Drew Doughty at 8:40.
Blue Jackets 0, Kings 1 1st - 11:20Feb 1 10:54 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Feb 1 10:39 PM
- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship May 22
- Blues hope goalie change can slow down Sharks top line May 21
- Kings agree with coach Darryl Sutter on contract extension May 13
- Predators feeling pain of team's best run coming up short May 13
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins May 8
- Kings GM: Coach Darryl Sutter has contract offer to return May 6
- Canada pounds US 5-1 in world championship opener May 6
- World championship offers audition for World Cup, draft May 5
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 3
- Pietrangelo logs heavy ice time in Blues' playoff run May 2
- Barkov, Eriksson, Kopitar are Lady Byng finalists Apr 30
- Doughty, Karlsson, Burns finalists for Norris Trophy Apr 29